LogRhythm NextGen SIEM Review

Case Management allows us to track what we see in the incidents that arise

What is our primary use case?

It's our central security monitoring platform. It's where we bring all of our events together so we can monitor our network.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped us be more streamlined in our monitoring processes. We used to have multiple places where we'd have to do this work and now we have centralized all of it into one platform.

Also, the alarm functions have helped us cut down on the manual work. They bubble things up to us instead of our having to go look for stuff.

In terms of our security program maturity, I think we're fairly mature. We definitely have some ways to go still, but we're continually improving. We've had a security program for some 15 years, so it's been around and had time to mature. LogRhythym has definitely been a part of that. For the operations and monitoring pieces, going from what we had before to it being the central component for us, it has really helped us become more mature in those areas.

What is most valuable?

From an operational perspective, day to day, the Case Management functions are really useful for us. They allow us to track what we see in the incidents that we have.

We use the full-spectrum analytics capabilities. We have a number of rules that we've built, and built-in rules that we leverage as well. We've got a whole bunch of dashboards and the like to do the analytics. We definitely find the full-spectrum analytics to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

Hearing the roadmap items, it's pretty good. I especially like the fact that the playbook is coming with the ability to integrate the smart responses into the playbooks. That way, we can not only have the playbooks, take those steps, but start to automate those steps as well. I think that is really powerful.

We played around with the CloudAI portion during the beta. We're not currently using it. But I think more in that area is going to be really important, where we can look at machine-based patterns, as opposed to just, "I saw two of these and three of these things, so set an alarm." I'm really excited about that.

More than five years.

Generally, the stability has been good. We have run into problems with stability going through upgrade processes. Recently, we have been on the front edge of the upgrade path. When that happens we tend to run into issues either with certain functionality not working after the upgrades or stability issues because of the upgrades.

It will definitely meet our needs going forward. We're not a huge shop, so we haven't had a whole lot of problems there.

But going back to the upgrade issue, in a previous upgrade from 6 to 7, we ended up with some hardware problems, because of scalability, with the software change. The hardware that we had didn't meet the needs anymore. But we were able to get that resolved.

Technical support is not bad. The lower-level, first-line support is not always great, but if we can get to the right people, then it's pretty good.

At this point, it's a pretty core platform for us, so we haven't been looking around.

What other advice do I have?

We do not use any of the playbooks currently. We'd definitely like to. It's a feature that we're planning to implement pretty soon.

Regarding our log sources, it's in the high hundreds, probably not in the thousands. When it comes to messages per second that we are processing, looking at the average, we're at about 1,000, but we peak somewhere north of 1,500.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten. It's a great platform, but I don't want to give them too much confidence, there's always room to improve.