Loom Systems Review

Simple and very effective for developing and configuring apps with great integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use Loom as a service desk solution for incident request changes, problem management and the like. It's not just service desk, it's an IT service management platform, primarily but it can also be used for asset management, or just as a static database. But it can also be integrated with a lot of other tools as well. It's usually used as an ITSM tool, but I know people have also used the security module. One of my customers also uses the HR module. I've implemented the solution numerous times.

In my last installation there were 1,200 resolvers and 600 approvers on top of that. The solution is used mainly in medium to large enterprises. For small enterprise, I think it would be too expensive.

I'm a consultant and don't receive any financial benefit from recommending Loom and I also implement other service tools. It depends on what the client wants and the budget. If they have the budget, then my personal preference is ServiceNow's Loom. But I always have to put forward a minimum of five suggestions depending on functionality and cost.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's a development platform is in itself a valuable feature. You can develop your own apps quite simply within it, and they can be configured very simply. I've only done a basic administrator course on it but I can configure it fairly easily for service desk, second line, third line incidents and request changes. When you start getting into things like change problems, configuration management, it becomes more technical and that's more difficult but it's relatively simple to configure.

What needs improvement?

On the ITOM side of things, there could be improvement. The discovery and mapping still takes a lot of human intervention, it's quite resource heavy, especially in the initial setup which can take six months of work, especially when you have a large estate that you're dealing with. Making things a little bit simpler, less resource heavy would be good. There's not a lot else really that I would improve, other than pricing perhaps. It's quite expensive in comparison to other tools but I guess that's to be expected with the market leader.

For additional features I'd like to see automation within the work flows. It could also include more integration with other tools. There's a fairly big list of plug ins and play ons, but I would like to see that expanded. I'd like to see more tools like SolarWinds and other tools that are plug and play, rather than having to do a custom integration.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The out of the box platform is very stable. The only issues are when you start doing your own custom apps, sometimes you can have a little instability. But that's down to your own programming and coding.

The product is scalable, the licensing models are quite good. I think there's a minimum of 33 what they call high tool or resolvers. You can expand that or reduce that quarterly which isn't bad at all.

I've used numerous other solutions in the past. They include BMC Remedy, Cherewell, Axios Assyst, HP Service Manager Mind, Citrus Service Desk.

Some of these other service tools aren't quite as rigorous about the process implementation. Bringing Loom in ensures that the incident process, request process, change, all of these processes are improved.

Initial setup is not that bad. There are other tools out there that are easier to set up but ServiceNow is probably middle of the road for initial setup. It's the ITOM side of it instead of ITSM, where you have assets discovery and service mapping that is hard to set up, but the actual tool, as far as ITSM goes, isn't too bad. Service partners are almost essential for this kind of thing.

What other advice do I have?

My main advice would be to use an implementation partner. I've used quite a few and they've all been fairly good. I would also suggest to negotiate on license costs, there's always room for negotiation. Ensure that you have the resource availability within your organization, you can't just rely on an implementation partner to do it all for you. You need to ensure that your process owners, your service desk managers, second line, your resolved group managers, all of those have the availability to help with the implementation. If you don't have that, then the implementation might not be as good as it could be.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10. It's wonderful.

More Loom Systems reviews from users