Lucidchart Review

Flexible and easy to use, with a helpful and extensive template library

What is our primary use case?

I used Lucidchart to build-out items such as business org charts, business processes/workflows, and product diagrams.

Lucidchart is much better than competitors that I have used, such as Visio. I am able to easily save off charts I have created in a PDF document, which is primarily what I do.

The flexibility of Lucidchart is great. It is easy to create swim lane process documents with as many rows as you would like. It is also very easy to include columns into the swim lane that allows you to show where one process ends and another picks up. This feature has allowed me to generate very detailed process documents that my employers have loved.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart is a lovely tool for creating visual representations of any process or organization.

People always ask me what I build my charts in, as the graphical rendering in Lucidchart is superb. The tool is super user-friendly and intuitive and comes with hundreds of templates to get you started. The user interface for Lucidchart makes it easy to build visual diagrams very quickly.

The full tool kit included in the product has more features and functionality than I will ever need, including the ability to publish diagrams directly to a web page.

What is most valuable?

I love the template library. It makes it easy to get started on a project without having to expend a lot of energy upfront trying to recreate the wheel. There are many, many templates to choose from across a wide variety of categories. It is easy to find a template category that works and then even find a template with a color scheme that works for what you need. I have often taken a template, with the color scheme I like, deleted everything out of it, and started from scratch just so I could get the colors I liked quickly.

What needs improvement?

When you want to add text to a connector arrow, I have not figured out how to position the text vertically. It always wants the text to stay horizontal. This is frustrating when I would like the text to stay in-line with a connector arrow, or otherwise.

Also, printing hard copies of PDF files that I have saved from Lucidchart has always been a problem. Although I don't print copies very often, every once in a while I need to do that for a meeting. The hard copies always come out missing colors and components of the chart I have created. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my printer, Adobe Acrobat DC, or otherwise.

I have been using Lucidchart for one year.

The Lucidchart cloud offering is super stable. I've never had any issues with it, even when my network has gone up and down.

The tool is not scalable, per se, but it does allow the user to easily share diagrams with other parties.

I used Visio in the past. Lucidchart's user interface is easier to use. I also prefer the look of the Lucidchart diagrams.

Pricing comes in at about $100 for a year's subscription, which is very reasonable if this is a tool that you will use more than once.

I have only used Visio and Lucidchart.

More Lucidchart reviews from users
...who compared it with Visio
Find out what your peers are saying about Lucidchart vs. Visio and other solutions. Updated: January 2021.
457,748 professionals have used our research since 2012.