Lucidchart Review

A faster way to do architecture; you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time

What is our primary use case?

We use it for primarily for two things:

1. Website architecture design.
  2. Process flow diagrams.

Most of our company's designers and I are on Macs along with a few other Mac users, then everybody else is on Windows machines. I also have a Windows machine, so it has to work on both.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for a lot of things. It is the easiest way that we have found to document processes, and we have a lot of those. We do a lot of web architecture. It's also the easiest way to create those charts and work collaboratively, so multiple people can be in making edits. We use it a lot more than I thought we would.

We don't email documents around. Anybody can get in and make changes to the document that they need to. This is one of the key aspects of it, especially now we are all working remote and particularly when you're working on something like website architecture.

It has become a little simple and clearer to finalize things, like website architecture, by clearly sharing them with the client. So, they understand every page and where it fits into the site.

It is a faster way to do architecture. As far as having some project processes documented, you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time and ask a lot of questions about, "How do we do this?" That part of it is much more efficient.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Lucidchart is its flexibility of how you put things together along with its intuitive sense. That makes it really fast to put together, unlike some other platforms. It has a nice balance between being powerful and simple, where some of the other platforms go too far and are too powerful.

It is great for complex process design. There is a balance between power and simplicity. It lets me do everything that I need it to do without it being complex to implement.

Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows is excellent. The way that you put together the parts of charts and edit the chart are all very intuitive and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, I have created charts with a lot of layers, which locks down parts of the chart and hides parts of the chart to edit it. If they have a better way to deal with specific layers when it gets complex, then that would be helpful. I would like to see something like an illustrator program, where they have a pallet of these layers that I want and don't want as well as being able to see each layer individually. That is the one thing that could be helpful.

I have been using it for a couple of years.

I have never run into a problem. I have never had the site crash on me or lose a document or document file. So, stability has never been a question or issue.

We are a relatively small company of 40 people, where 10 to 15 people have used Lucidchart. There are probably eight of us who are real regular users of it, so scalability hasn't been a factor.

Our users' job roles vary. They are mostly account management and development.

I don't know that I have ever really used the formal technical support. I have used the documentation on it, where I had to look up how to do things, but I have never had to reach out to the technical support.

I have had clients send me Visio files. However, most people at the company were using Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word or PowerPoint.

The main reason why we went with Lucidchart was I don't like the solution in Microsoft Office and PowerPoint. They were very limited in what you can get them to do. They were also very slow to make things look the way you want, so it was not an adequate solution.

It is definitely easy to implement. It will not take a ton of time to get up and running using the tool.

We did not set it up company-wide. If people have a need for it, then we create an account for them, and that's it.

You can create a basic chart in five to six minutes without any problems. 99 percent of the things that you want to do are right there and exceedingly obvious on how to do them.

As far as deployment, the only thing that I would tell people is go use it. They can figure it out without having me train them on it. If they need to use it, it's intuitive enough that I don't provide any training on how to use it. Everyone figures it out pretty easily.

It always saves time if you don't have to email things back and forth, then wonder if you have the latest version.

We are documenting some processes which were not documented before at all. I think that will help make projects go more smoothly in the future.

The pricing and licensing are fine, though I wish they didn't require you to buy the licenses in batches of five.

The overall suite is great at helping us to visualize each step of the process, from brainstorming initial ideas to turning those ideas into reality. We looked at a number of brainstorming whiteboard applications and decided to go with Lucidspark. It is the easiest to use. It had all the features that we were looking for. The fact that it integrates with Lucidchart is nice. So, if we're doing a whiteboard session to create architecture, we can immediately translate it into a formal hierarchy document.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that we want it to do. I would give it a 10 (out of 10). I think it's great.

It is not a huge deal for us that the suite can be centrally managed by a unified administration console, but it is nice.

We use some of the integrations with Microsoft. They're somewhat important, but not a deal breaker. We wish they would incorporate them into Lucidspark. So, if I make a chart and want to put it into a presentation, then it is nice to be able to make a change to the chart and have it automatically update in a presentation without having to reimport it. We are also heavy users of Microsoft Teams, so it's nice that I can share charts within Teams.

We don't really use it for new teams and hierarchy charts.

We really haven't used Lucidchart's ability to compare versions of documents. We probably should because it happens. The client will ask for a change to the architecture and see what it was before. However, we have not utilized this feature a lot.

Web
More Lucidchart reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Visio
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.