Lucidchart Review

Real-time collaboration means multiple users can efficiently review wireframes simultaneously, saving us hours of time

What is our primary use case?

We use it for making flowcharts. We are using the iOS and PC views to make mock-ups and wireframes.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm able to create a mock-up and then share that with a person on the other side of the world for his or her review and commentary. We're then able to easily understand how the mock-up or flow should work, based on sharing and using Lucidchart and the commenting back and forth between people.

The real-time collaboration among users, so that everyone is accessing and working on the same version of a document, has made it more efficient for multiple users within our organization to review the same mock-up or wireframes simultaneously, and comment on them to enhance or improve them. The real-time collaboration has saved us hours of time per week.

We also use the solution’s ability to compare versions of documents. It's important to understand who, on the team, is responsible or has version control. In sharing wireframes or mock-ups, referring back to previous versions or iterations has been helpful to understand how things have progressed to the current state. This feature is important to understand how a document or flowchart has continued to improve.

The ability for people to look at a diagram, rather than reading through written documents, has saved time and money, but at this point it's hard to put a dollar figure on it.

An example of the kind of efficiencies it provides in projects is that it has saved us time in reviewing a mock-up for a mobile app. Being able to share those mock-ups back and forth between our product and development teams ensured that the mock-up was meeting the desired end-state. It probably saved us a day, eight hour's worth of time, over the course of the last two or three months.

What is most valuable?

The wireframe and mock-up features have been the most useful so far. It's easy to create the mock-ups and then communicate to our development team what they need to look like.

Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows is very good as well. I'm able to easily use any style of box that I need on a flowchart, to effectively communicate to our development team.

It is also important to us that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users because we have both within our organization. To efficiently and effectively share charts, wireframes, and mock-ups between users, it's important that Lucid supports both platforms.

I've been using Lucid for the last six months.

The performance has been great. There have been no issues with performance or stability at all.

In our limited use case, we have about 10 to 12 different flowcharts or wireframes or mock-ups that we've done, so the scalability has been fine. I don't think we're a true judge of scalability, given we've only had a few months of Lucid experience.

We have four users using Lucid in our company, from platform development and product management. At this time we don't have plans to increase usage. Maybe as we add additional staff, that is something we will take a look at.

We have not used their technical support.

We have used draw.io as well. We switched to Lucidchart because of a preference for it on the part of the VP of our product team.

Our primary driver was price. We chose Lucid based on the price comparison between it and draw.io. I don't know that feature functionality was strongly considered. Lucidchart was about 15 percent cheaper per user.

I watched a couple of help videos, but I didn't find the setup very complex. It's fairly intuitive and easy to use. The setup took a couple of days. I did it by myself, using online help and whatever I found in the help portion of the application.

It doesn't require any maintenance on our side.

It has saved us time. Although it's hard to quantify how much, it has saved us time being able to share wireframes, the mock-ups, and the flowcharts that we need to effectively communicate to our larger development team.

I would like to learn more about Lucidspark. When that was released, I was surprised to learn that it came with a separate subscription model and was not included in my existing Lucidchart subscription. I do think the mind mapping or brainstorming features within Lucidspark are something that we can take advantage of but we just haven't found the money yet to buy a subscription.

I have used Visio in the past, but we do not have Visio as part of our Microsoft license currently. We never had the intent of using Visio.

Lucidchart is far easier to pick up and use than Visio is. Visio is better suited, if you've had some background or a training course on how to use Visio, whereas Lucid's much easier to just start "playing with" and continuing to understand how it works with continued use.

What other advice do I have?

Compare Lucid to the other providers in the space, whether it be Gliffy, drawio, or Visio and understand how they export and share work with other team members, and which is easiest to use.

More Lucidchart reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Visio
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.