Lucidchart Review

Easy to use, helpful for mapping out processes, saves time and improves efficiency, promotes collaboration

What is our primary use case?

I use Lucidchart for creating journey maps and educating customer success managers on best practices when it comes to managing customers, relationships, and difficult conversations.

People are visual, so I typically try to visualize what I'm trying to say and Lucidchart makes it easy.

As a Mac user, and with most people in the area using a Mac, it is important to me that Lucidchart accommodates both platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart is really useful for mapping out processes, even if you're just trying to think about how to write them out or relay an idea to other people. Being able to draw it out is very helpful.

The organizational charts for visualizing and understanding hierarchies and relationships are very simple to draw out, then share and quickly make edits, according to feedback.

Lucid's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows are good, as you can use layering on top of your ideas. There are also so many templates that I can start with, I don't have to start from scratch when trying to visualize the concept. It's very easy and clean to use.

I collaborate with other team members for assessments of clients' customer success teams, playbooks, and education. The ability to do this absolutely makes our process faster, mainly because you can visualize what you're trying to say, so people understand it faster.

I'd say that it cuts the amount of time we spend in half because you don't have to write emails back and forth. You can see what they've changed, even in real-time.

Using this platform has helped me to realize efficiencies because I can visualize what I'm trying to tell the person. Instead of writing it out or taking a long time trying to figure out how to do it in PowerPoint, I can just drag and drop so many different images to convey what I want to say into one page, as opposed to taking multiple pages or wasting time trying to figure out which icon or how to draw something out when they already have templates in there.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use, and just being able to drag and drop. Although it is easy to use, it has so many capabilities that you can make it as complex as you want.

There are many templates that I can start from, which is another valuable feature.

It allows me to look at and compare different versions of my documents, which is something that I do to look at the high-level changes when I'm working with a colleague. When I'm collaborating on work for a client, it's really important to understand what it is that the customer wants to relay to their team. Even if we're on a task like writing a blog, it is important that we're working together to make sure that we're visualizing what we want to convey to the audience.

There is a lot of good training available.

What needs improvement?

The layering is something that can be improved because sometimes, it is confusing for me when I'm trying to get to the layer that I want to edit.

When using the interface to maneuver about the axis, I struggle sometimes because I want to move only one line, as opposed to the entire sheet that I've just created.

I have been working with Lucidchart for two years.

This is a very stable product and I've never had an issue with it.

It is very good in terms of scaling because you can save folders and content, and you can share it easily. I'm a small consulting firm and there are just three of us. One is an advisor and the other helps build the assessments and playbooks.

If my company grows and I get more clients, then I will expand my usage of Lucidchart.

I have been in contact with technical support and it was fine. I'm paying the lowest tier and I don't expect them to get back to me right away, which is fine.

I have used other similar products but I have given up. I feel this one is just very simple to use. For example, I have used Visio, PowerPoint, and I've dabbled with Bizagi but I really disliked it and it's super expensive. I quickly dropped that one. I've also played around with MURAL.

Specifically, with Visio, I used it years ago but I hated it. I found it complicated to use and also, they may not have had an Apple version at the time for the Mac. I was very happy when the company that I was working for introduced this to me.

What I really liked about Lucidchart is the ease of use. I went to their conference and I thought that it was well put together. I really liked the content, and it's stuff like that that matters.

The company that I used to work for performed the initial setup for me. Then, once I started my own company, I just kept using it.

I have seen a return on investment with respect to time, although I don't have enough clients yet to be using it as much as I wish I could. My return comes from creating playbooks and assessments and visualizing.

The pricing is very reasonable, and they have a free trial available that you can play with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to take advantage of the free trial. Use the templates and they have a lot of good training available, so take advantage of it.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Lucidchart is that there are a lot of templates and ways to be efficient by using a platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Lucidchart reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Visio
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.