Lucidchart Review

Real-time collaboration, with everyone working on the same version of a document, decreased project development time

What is our primary use case?

I am using it to create a process document showing a process flow with a timeline.

I'm using the web version.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides real-time collaboration so that everyone is accessing and working on the same version of a document and that has made the project development process faster. I've tried it with a few of my team members, and we've all worked on things simultaneously. The application provided good, real-time updates of the changes that were being made. It saved us almost a week getting the final product out.

The ability to look at a diagram, rather than reading through written documents, also saves time and money, absolutely. My manager wanted a visual representation of the process flow, and Lucidchart helped immensely. I was stuck for two to three months when trying to make a visual representation of the process flow and I wasn't able to get it done. Using Lucidchart, I did it in one day. I asked for a week, but I went back with the final process flow and diagram within a day, which was really surprising. They were expecting me to take a week to build it. It has increased efficiency.

What is most valuable?

The templates are quite valuable, as is the fact that you can export to PDF, to a Visio document, or as a picture. These are valuable features for me because they give me the ability to make changes in any other product that I'm using. I'm not bound by one platform.

When it comes to documenting things like processes and systems, it's pretty good. Everything is already created via a template and then you just input your details and make the small changes as necessary. It's quite time-efficient and easy to create charts.

And it is definitely important that it accommodates both Mac and PC users so that you are not bound to one kind of operating system. In organizations there are different users. Somebody will be using a Mac and somebody else will be using a Windows PC. It's essential that the tool is created for both operating systems instead of just one.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is in the fact that I had to create two sheets. I had to create a process flow diagram, and I had to create a timeline. I wasn't able to do that in one sheet. If they could add that kind of feature, where you could input a timeline and different types of templates into one worksheet, that would be really useful. I had to include two and then cut and paste, and that was an extra step for me.

I've been using Lucidchart for four weeks.

While using it on the web it has been pretty stable. It would be even better if I could use it as an enterprise-wide software as a service, and not on the web.

I believe it is pretty scalable but I can't judge how it would perform if it was deployed on a server, whether that server was Lucidchart's or on-premises. But my initial impression is that it is quite scalable.

It is currently being used within my team only, consisting of three people, and we are all business support analysts or service analysts. I don't have the power to decide if it will be deployed further in my organization, but I would definitely recommend it. We could submit ideas of new, cool applications that would be helpful for our organization. I'm definitely going to do that.

I haven't used tech support because it is fairly simple to use.

I went with it because we couldn't do certain things in Visio. I was Googling my use case and Lucidchart gave me templates and options that could combine to create a single process diagram with a timeline.

Switching from Visio to Lucidchart, the migration, was pretty easy. I was able to import my Visio files into the solution. That was pretty important because we had other process diagrams already created in Visio. We had to bring them over to Lucidchart so that we maintain them in a single platform.

The setup is straightforward. There was no deployment because I'm using the application on the web.

I have definitely seen return on investment in the amount of time it has saved versus the fees I had to pay. If I would have spent a week working on a product and still not have been able to get to the final diagram, that would have wasted a lot of man-hours.

The licensing is pretty cost-effective but I haven't considered it on an enterprise level.

Visio is fine for creating charts but I found it difficult to go through the Help section and find out how to do things in Visio. Lucidchart was easy to navigate and provided an easy way to build a chart. Using Visio was very time-consuming while Lucidchart was intuitive.

Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows are pretty good. With Visio, there's one thing that is missing when creating process flows. If I have to create direction arrows from one box to another, it is easier in Lucidchart to connect them. And it is very intuitive in the sense that it automatically does so if it is a sequential process, and that functionality does not exist in Visio.

I briefly tried another tool from Atlassian but it had the limitation of only working within Atlassian's tools. That was the only other product that I considered before Lucidchart.

What other advice do I have?

Lucidchart is quite interesting and an easy-to-use application. It offers you a range of templates that are ready to use. You can import your previous files from any other platform that you were using. It has various integrations that can be very beneficial if you are using enterprise applications like Slack and Salesforce, for example.

I have not tested the integrations but I expect they are quite useful because we use Atlassian Confluence and it would really be good to directly export from this application to Confluence. We do create process flows and flow charts in Confluence to make our customer base and to keep our Knowledge Base up to date. I haven't used the integrations because they have to go through a security review and be approved for use.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using it is that you need to take a leap of faith and try something new. Read the reviews, read the FAQs, and see the functionality. If you don't try, you won't get to know if it can help with what you are doing.

More Lucidchart reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Visio
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.