Lumen MPLS IP VPN Review

A robust, scalable, stable, and evolved product

What is our primary use case?

We provide internet service tools. In your office, if you want to surf or connect to various applications, you need internet connectivity. For this, your company reaches out to an internet service provider, such as AT&T, Verizon, or Comcast, for a leased line or pipe they want, and they will come and provide the internet services. We offer the best of times, so we commit 99.8% of the time on fiber and 98.5% on RF. That's the kind of commitment that we give.

What is most valuable?

It is a robust solution. You can scale it up as per your requirement.

What needs improvement?

It should have better integration with other platforms. With the internet, very few innovations can be there, but there are some solutions that can be integrated into the solutions that we provide.

It is a fairly stable and evolved product.

It is scalable. My organization has about 900 employees. We are providers, and every customer has a different build, infrastructure, and different requirements. Their employee base can be as small as 10, and it can go up to 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000. It depends on their organization.

We have our own in-house team that is responsible for ensuring up times, and they are the ones who will act on resolutions.

It depends on multiple factors. If your building is already connected, then it is very easy to install. When the building is connected, we can set it up within three to four days. When the order gets triggered, we can do the implementation. We don't have to do much, but if the building is not connected, then there is a challenge. We need to pull out fiber or connect to RF, and we have to try some devices to provide internet. Depending on the distance out and the length of the fiber that needs to be deployed, it could take weeks and months because there are multiple factors. We also have to take permission from the local authorities, dig the roads, and do all that stuff. After we have the approvals in place, we can start the deployment. It can take a week or three months.

For the deployment, we have field engineers and project engineers. Everybody is involved in the deployment.

As a provider, we need to have licenses from the regulatory authorities. Once we have those licenses in place, we can provide connections to our customers. So, getting licenses is a challenge. It is a time-consuming process. Other than that, there is no massive challenge.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Lumen Technologies, Amazon, Pulse Secure and others in Enterprise Infrastructure VPN. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.