Luxul Switches Review

Good pricing, but needs better UI and is only built for smaller-sized setups

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as AV over IP, which means you use the switch transport for audio-video. You use the encoder in code, with the video audio into the IP package, and then send them over the network switch and the switch you need to support a multicast.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent for audio-video and multi-casting.

The Luxul package is excellent overall. It works well for the audio-visual industry.

The solution is less expensive than other options.

There are lots of features and functionalities.

What needs improvement?

While the solution is good for the light commercial market or for the residential market, it's not ideal for the commercial market, for example, a big enterprise or data center. They are not useful. They are not good for that.

You do need to be an IT person in order to handle the initial setup. An AV person would struggle a bit.

The UI should be easy to use. With all of the features and functionalities, it's very important for the engineers and for the end-users that it's easier to navigate. It needs to be simplified.

I've used the solution for several months at this point.

The solution is a very famous brand in the AV industry. It has a good reputation. It's stable and offers good performance. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I haven't tested the scalability at all. They have the uplink 10G backing ports, however, I haven't tested them. I just used the single Luxul application and for the big solutions, I would probably rather recommend a company uses NETGEAR, Cisco, or Juniper. I won't recommend this product if a company is looking to scale. It's not meant to be a big solution.

Technical support isn't the best. I sometimes can't even find a CLI user manual or some material. From what I gather is that Luxul, I need to have a user manual to get the help I need.

I'm also familiar with Cisco and Netgear.

Items such as Cisco or Juniper are very professional and have very good features, however, they are also expensive. That is the problem.

While the solution is straightforward, it's really only that way if you have some IT background. If you have no IT background, for example, and instead if you are an AV, audio-video, engineer, it's maybe a bit difficult to wrap your head around. For an IT person, on the other hand, it's very easy.

The pricing of the solution is quite good. It's affordable and pretty reasonable. It's less costly than, for example, Cisco.

That said, I do not know the exact costs as that is not part of my responsibility. I don't handle payments or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I use a 48 1G PoE switch.

We sometimes sell the product to customers.

In general, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

7048P
Learn what your peers think about Luxul Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.