Luxul Switches Review

Rock-solid connectivity and WiFi coverage

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches for internal network distribution and local RR networks. We also use them for supplying voiceover IP. We use them for PoE+ depending on the configuration and what our customers needs. Sub-netting a visible part of the network.

How has it helped my organization?

No matter where I am, I have access to the routers. I don't have to do on-site visits to perform server upgrades — I can do that remotely. I receive a notification if the product goes offline due to an issue with the internet service provider or a router issue.

It's nice because I have easy access to them for troubleshooting. I can even remotely login to the routers themselves. This way, if a customer requires something, I don't have to go to their physical location. It's pretty much bulletproof if you want to use the two access points from the router or a single access point to the router.

What is most valuable?

All of my customers, including residential and commercial clients, are extremely happy with these switches.

The XWR-3150 routers can support two different location access points by themselves, which is very convenient. The proximity is roughly 600 feet, point to point, so it's quite stable.

The ePoE+ is great. Most commercial installations use voiceover IP; however, not all individual users or residential users use voiceover IP. What I use depends on whether I am designing a setup for a customer network, or residential property. For a house, I typically install between 16 to 24 ports — no less than 12 ports. Commercial properties are a completely different story because they're working on particular projects. For example, for a recent commercial project, I installed 48-port switches, 24 of which were ePoE+. That flexibility is very valuable to our customers.

What needs improvement?

It's a hardwired solution so our customers do not have to use a mesh network — I really dislike that. It causes too much delay, etc.

As with any product, there is always room for improvement. A good router is not cheap. A good switch is not cheap. Let's say somebody develops a new frequency — 7GHz. Well, in that case, you'd need a special router. I have some customers who request Cat7 for their homes.

That's way too much. So I'd say, "What are you going to run over here? Let's just run fiber optics. Then the customer will respond, "Well, I read somewhere and other people have told me that if you're going to wire your house, go with Cat7." I'd say, "Sir, you're not going to even utilize Cat5e." I use Cat5e, and believe it or not, I can pump at 10 gigabits per second with Cat5e.

The same was true with ePoE — now we have ePoE+. Some switches with ePoE cannot supply as much juice as the modern ePoE+, which requires much more power. The basic switch doesn't have the capacity to deal with that.

The documentation could be improved; it's quite basic. It pretty much just covers some basic IP information, defense, and how to change the administrator password — that's pretty much it. I am a dealer, I shouldn't have to contact support for basic answers.

I have been using Luxul Switches for six years.

The routers feature rock-solid connectivity and rock-solid wifi coverage — that's what my customers love. It doesn't matter if a router is one, two, or even three years old, they're rock-solid. Once they're installed, no one has to touch them.

Luxul Switches are highly scalable.

They have controllers which can support up to 48 access points. There was one case where a router somehow lost 5GHz of frequency transmission — I had to replace it. Otherwise, when the router is set, our customers don't have to reboot it whatsoever.

Luxul provides me with pretty good technical support. I'd say they're very good.

We used to use Cisco switches, but we stopped using them because they were too expensive, certification was a hassle, and they were too complicated, etc.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. I can deploy a router in less than five minutes.

There is virtually no maintenance involved as I have full access, remotely, to every switch. I can update them and change the configuration from anywhere. For this reason, only one person is required for maintenance.

The customer pays for the physical product; there is no licensing. The price completely depends on the environment. There are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Everything is stable so far. Over the past six years, I've only ever experienced one issue with a router. I had to replace it because the 5GHz SSID stopped working — nobody knows what happened. Still, I had a replacement up and running within two hours. If they improved their documentation, I would give Luxul a rating of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Luxul Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.