Luxul Switches Review

Greatly simplifies troubleshooting; remote access to the router is a huge time saver

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for internal network distribution and for supplying voiceover IP. It depends on customer requirements but usually it's easier to set up voiceover IP, ePoE from the switch. The routers, such as XWR-3150, can support two different location access points, which is very convenient. It's a hard wire and customers do not have to use a mesh network which causes delays. Luxul can be used for 600 feet point to point. I'm the operator and owner and we are resellers and distributors of Luxul.

How has it helped my organization?

I have remote access to the router. I don't have to do site visits to carry out a server upgrade and I get notifications if a product goes offline. It's simple for troubleshooting. If a customer requires something, I don't have to move. It's fail proof if you want to use the two access points from the router or single access point to the router. It saves a lot of time.

What is most valuable?

The ePoE+ is valuable because if we're talking about a commercial installation, they're using voiceover IP. I'm usually putting in 16 to 24 ports. It's valuable.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a problem with documentation. Luxul doesn't want to give the documentation to any Joe Bloggs, but even as a dealer going to the Luxul portal, there are no documents. I can always call technical support and ask them if I forget something and I'll get the support, but I shouldn't need to do that. Anything can be improved and unfortunately a good switch is not cheap but there's no choice if you need a special router.

I've been using this solution for six years.

It's a rock-solid connectivity and a rock-solid Wi-Fi coverage, which is what my customers love. It doesn't matter if a router is one, two or three years old. Nobody has to touch it.

Scalability is good, they have controllers that can support 48 access points. I had only one case where the router lost 5GHz frequency transmission. Otherwise customers don't need to reboot the router.

I have pretty good technical support from Luxul, taking into account that I'm one of their reseller dealers.

We previously used Cisco but moved to Luxul because of the pricing, the complexity, the Cisco certification, and because of the supply distributors.

The initial setup is straightforward, it can be done in five minutes. There's almost no maintenance required because if a network is based on everything including the router, I have full access to every single switch, so any updates or changes can be done remotely.

What other advice do I have?

I have full access to the commercial grade Luxul product. They are extremely easy to program if you know what you're doing. I see Cisco's advantage if we're talking about the security and extra programming, but for the past six years I've used Luxul and all my customers, residential and commercial, are extremely happy.

Luxul loses a point because of poor documentation, so I will rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Luxul Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.