Magic xpa Application Platform Review

Mature solution that can be used on any platform and most databases are supported by it automatically

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for supporting SUS (Software Update Service) services for IoT (Internet of Things).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the speed of development. It can be used on any platform and most databases are supported by it automatically.

What needs improvement?

The company has now released version 4 for web development. But this new release is still pretty hard to use for mobile and web development because it was not improved as much as we expected in the areas of user-friendliness or development-friendliness. In general, the interface is okay, but to achieve a final result, it is not very friendly for developers.

It could be improved by adding services that can be automated. This will be a major improvement in functionality.

We have been using this product since 1989 or 30 years.

Magic xpa is pretty stable. We don't experience problems with it.

As far as scalability it is okay. It can be used on a single machine to working with it on the Cloud and everything else in between. So, scalability is no problem.

I don't know exactly how many people use our products, but according to some estimations, there are more than two million users. In our company, there are just four people using the product directly for development.

Depending on the projects we have, we may scale our usage. We make teams depending on the projects we get and scale as we need to. We don't have immediate needs to scale.

The initial set up for common usage is pretty simple. Maybe set up for some environments — like a mobile environment — it is a little bit more tricky, but it is still okay. The setup for the more difficult environments only have to be done once and then it is okay.

The initial set up can be done by yourself. It is not difficult to deploy in most situations without any consultation.

The pricing for the product is a little high. The problem is the license for the development version of xpa has to be paid for, and then also the runtime has to be paid in addition. So it is not an optimal solution for a developer because of the additional runtime costs.

I came to IT Central Station because I wanted to see some comparisons and reviews for mobile platform developer tools. I was wondering if there were other tools I should consider for mobile development that might be easier to use. I did not consider anything specifically to replace Magic xpa.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Magic xpa as an eight.

My advice to others looking at Magic xpa is: I think this is a good tool for making some nice applications independent of the operating system, database, and environment. It is also the quickest development tool on the market. I recommend it but you must be willing to pay for the privilege of using it.