MailChimp Review

It can segment lists in multiple ways, such as interest groups, activity and other criteria saved in the database.

What is most valuable?

There are several features in MailChimp that make it an invaluable tool for email communications. For me, the ability to design professional-looking, responsive email templates quickly and easily is crucial. In addition to the actual email design, the other crucial feature in any email, too, is managing your lists. MailChimp has an intuitive system that allows me to segment lists in multiple ways, such as interest groups, activity and other criteria saved in the database.

How has it helped my organization?

We rely heavily on email to communicate with our audience. The downside of sending many emails is that the unsubscribe rate goes up. By segmenting lists, we were able to decrease the unsubscribe rate. We also can smoothly gather new leads and more information on existing constituents using MailChimp API integration with our webform tool.

What needs improvement?

MailChimp’s reports on audience engagement are not the most robust. We have the ability to see statistics on any given email, but aggregate reporting on the performance of a specific group of emails is not a native feature. This would be useful for comparing month-over-month trends or different audiences’ rates of engagement.

I have used it for four years.

MailChimp’s service is reliable. The few times we experienced problems, their support staff was able to resolve the issue within a matter of hours.

A definite advantage to MailChimp is the ability to easily scale. They will automatically check how many subscribers you have and move you up to the next level of service, if necessary.

Their technical support is excellent. I found an answer to most of my questions by consulting their knowledge base, which is an easily searchable and comprehensive collection of all their documentation including videos, screenshots and walkthroughs. Their support staff is available by chat and email, and always got back relatively quickly. Most importantly, their staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

We used Lyris before we switched to MailChimp. In Lyris, each email needed to be designed using HTML and CSS, which obviously took a lot of time and expertise. In addition, the user interface was not nearly as intuitive and the support was non-existent on the account we were on.

Setting up MailChimp was relatively painless. MailChimp provides defaults for all forms, templates and other settings, so we were able to customize what was important to us and leave everything else as the default.

MailChimp has a discount for non-profits. It’s also important to note they charge by subscriber, so it’s best to minimize duplicate records. A good way to do this is to use MailChimp’s groups feature, as opposed to setting up separate lists.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated other options, but I don’t remember which ones.

What other advice do I have?

We gradually migrated to MailChimp in stages during our implementation. First, we designed some of our emails in MailChimp, then we moved over our constituent records, then we integrated with our website and so on. This way, if there are particular business needs we could not figure out how to address with MailChimp, we were always able to go back to our previous tool.

More MailChimp reviews from users