Malwarebytes Review

Easy to use, stable, and able to effectively detect unwanted programs

What is our primary use case?

I use Malwarebytes as a backup, an alternative antivirus if you like.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's ability to detect potentially unwanted programs. For some reason, it seems superior to other solutions, or at least in comparison to McAfee.

I kind of like what they've got. It's relatively easy to use. The console's pretty good. The reporting is pretty good as well. In fact, arguably the reporting is better than McAfee.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

In terms of general improvement, I can't think of any features that are lacking. It's a pretty solid solution.

If they want to compete with bigger players, they should consider adding items like threat detection and website warnings.

I've been using the solution for two years now. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution is quite good. I've never had issues with it in that regard. It doesn't seem to have bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The only bug I've even noticed works in my favor. The updates work. However, the side-benefit to updating is whenever I do an update they actually give me another 30 days of the full license for trial as there seems to be a bug in their solution. That means that it doesn't recognize when you've already had it. It says, "Oh you've got an update. Oh, you get 30 days free trial again." That's fine. That's a nice bonus.

The scalability of the solution is good. A company shouldn't have issues scaling it.

I also use McAfee as well. I use them both and scan using both of them to compare results. I find that Malwarebytes typically picks up things McAfee misses.

McAfee tends to hide the details for me and when it detects something and so quarantines it, McAfee just points you to the website, and usually the links they point you to are wrong and don't actually tell you what's going on. Malwarebytes at least says "this is what this is and we got rid of it for you". It's very specific

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not complex. You just install it and you are good to go.

There isn't too much maintenance needed on the solution.

I've never had to contact technical support in the past. I can't speak to their responsiveness or general knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a user and a customer. I don't have a professional relationship with the solution.

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I've lost the real-time scanning, so I use McAfee for that. I use Malwarebytes as a backup, an alternative antivirus. If I think my system's got something wrong with it, I'll scan it on McAfee, and then I'll scan it on Malwarebytes as well. There's a difference.

I commonly recommend Malwarebytes to people due to the fact that I find it quite reliable.

All things considered, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not like the big boys - the TrendMicros, Symantecs or CrowdStrikes. It doesn't necessarily compete well in those market areas.

More Malwarebytes reviews from users