Malwarebytes Review

Provides a level of confidence that no malware will infiltrate the system

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is something I'm using myself, on my own computer. It sits in the background, works very well and does what you expect it to do. I'm using the free version at the moment but I'm considering getting the premium version because it's a pretty good product. My working environment is Windows, but my own personal preference is Mac, a Mac OS which I own. I have the solution on 24/7.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scan feature. Being able to carry out a full scan on your system is a great feature, it gives you a certain level of confidence that everything's okay.

What needs improvement?

If the company was going to do something, it would be great if they could open up the free version to an app blocker that would block malicious applications. I don't think they would do that because they need to make money but it's what I would suggest they do. There's no indication on the system as to when the software is doing a scan.

Additional features they could include would be notifications. The solution doesn't let you know that it's scanning the system, it's all done in the background and it might be helpful if a little icon popped up and said, I'm just running a scan for you.

I've been using Malwarebytes for two years.

The stability has been great. I've had it for about 18 months and nothing has gone wrong yet.

In terms of scalability, whether it would be something that I would extend to an entire office full of Macs, or a whole company that was running Macs, I'm not sure. I would imagine on the basis that it doesn't have a particularly big memory or CPU footprint, that it would be ideal for scalability. You would only install it on one machine at a time, not on a server. It would be on the user's system.

I did the setup myself, it was very simple. I think it took maybe five minutes.

I didn't specifically evaluate other options but I did go through a decision analysis process to figure out the best option for me. I listed what I wanted from the software and then rated all the alternatives against my requirements. It was a checklist and the solutions that didn't pass got kicked out. That's how I ended up with Malwarebytes. It was about functionality.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a client on my system at the moment. I think it gets a lot of its information, its virus signatures, things like that, from a cloud service. I can see that it takes a second to download new virus signatures and things. It's obviously getting its information from their website, so the real intelligence is based remotely.

I would very highly recommend this product and would rate it an eight out of 10.

More Malwarebytes reviews from users