ManageEngine Desktop Central Review

The features that give us the most value are patch management, remote control, and configuration management.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

We used to use Windows Server Update Services, but had difficulty getting reports that gave an accurate picture of the patch situation across the estate.

Desktop Central allows both Microsoft and third-party patching while giving precise reporting and dashboards, enabling us to catch problem computers easily, as well as show the company that we are keeping their IT infrastructure safe.

Room for Improvement:

The ability to backup and restore or move user profiles to another PC would be a fantastic addition to the feature set.

Use of Solution:

We have used this solution for five years now.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

I have found customer service to be very responsive. I have had a couple of issues over the years and on one occasion logged a ticket on the ManageEngine support site and had a call back within 15 minutes. The support rep took control of the server and fixed the issue within 10 minutes.

They are also very responsive as far as feature requests are concerned. I have in the past requested features and have had at least some of them make it into the product.

Previous Solutions:

We used Altiris for our service desk, as well as systems management, before it became Symantec. It was a very good but expensive solution.

I was tasked with finding a replacement for the cost of the maintenance of Altiris. I did that with the combination of ServiceDesk Plus, Desktop Central and OS Deployer.

Initial Setup:

Installation and initial configuration is very easy, taking less than an hour to have a fully-working system on a network of 700+ computers. Obviously, it takes more time to fine tune the solution to your exact needs, but you can have an installation ready and auditing your estate in no time at all. I would say that any reasonably competent IT person can set this up with no outside help. The installation was very easy and required no help from any outside company including ManageEngine.

Implementation Team:

I did it by myself in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Not sure if it is the case now, but they used to say 80% of the features of the big players for 20% of the cost. I think that they may be overlooked because of the price, but download it and take a look. You will be very surprised.

Other Advice:

Give it a go. If you are a small business of less than 25 users, it is free. For larger companies, it is a very reasonably priced solution. It is feature rich and the list of features is growing rapidly. Depending on the version you have, new features are free of charge. Some features are only in Enterprise and not in Pro.