ManageEngine OpManager Review

This product discovers unusual behaviors and alerts the IT so problems are avoided

What is our primary use case?

OpManager monitors the uptime and the performance of the network, servers, and applications. Additionally, it monitors the condition of the RAM, the CPU, and memory. It also monitors any inbound applications. We get notifications of any downloads or devices making unauthorized requests. It runs the processes on both sides. If it finds something we get an alert. It will tell us what the problem is and give us directions as to how to fix it.

What is most valuable?

Overall the environment is good. You can deploy it in an area of your network to evaluate risk. It can assess any unusual changes in what is going on. It is difficult to prevent IT intrusions. So if you use OpManager, it will make discoveries of unusual behaviors and give you reports. With that information, you can configure the IT to avoid those behaviors and you can avoid the potential issues.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of that might be improved is that it is just a heavy software. When we start it up with the archiving software, we sometimes experience some lag. The access on the console is a little bit slow. It might be that we need to improve our configuration to be sure it is correct. If we improve the way we work with it and make it a lighter load on the software, that may be a solution. Performance needs to be our crowning star. This product is little bit slow sometimes.

If we improve the RAM, then maybe the performance will improve. It could be something that simple.

We have been using OpManager for between seven and eight years.

It is stable. That is part of the reason why we are using it for a long time. That is a definite fact.

This product is used by the IT personnel. So it is the IT manager's domain, I suppose. Other users are not using this. Expanding the user base is not really necessary or likely.

It may have some limitations in monitoring the network if it is extremely large. We have not experienced this. If there are performance issues the equipment may need an upgrade. This is a load issue and it is not the fault of the application.

The support for the product is very good. They provided us the link for the product, we started the Windows server, they started the EFT (Electronic File Transfer). When we had downloaded the software, it started itself.

If any support is required, then they give us the support we need. They respond as declared within our agreement within a four-hour window. I can depend on the response time of the support team.

The maintenance is not required because hardware maintenance is not what we take care of. If the software reports that anything goes wrong and we not at all to understand the result, then we need to investigate and then fix that. This is our responsibility.

So my general opinion is that the support is very good.

In the initial setup, it is very easy to deploy. It supports SMB (Server Message Block) and WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) protocol. So with SMB and WMI, it can support multiple platforms like Linux and Windows and Cisco devices.

Considering the pricing, OpManager is actually one of the cheaper solutions in this category. When a new subscription is required for something additional like support and we add the required license, they charge a very little. So the initial cost is low and the add-ons are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this product meets all our requirements, whatever our requirements are. I expect the product to perform as promised and use all the features that I need. It monitors the services, uptime, downtime, and that general requirement is met.

I think I have no real implementation requirements. They are also constantly improving by resolving some bugs and they also add some additional features. For example, now if we want to monitor file integrity and IT management, we can do that.

They also provide all services through the same console. If you want to, you can get other functionality through OpManager add-ons. If you want a service, you just buy the subscription and use the add-ons and monitor the multiple services in a single console.

There is firewall monitoring, network monitoring, application monitoring, and network configuration is also provided. For some things, an additional license is required.

If you had seen the previous versions, it is obvious that they have improved. So as of now, we do not need to ask for any requirements to be fulfilled. The IT person really only needs the alerts and designation as medium, critical, or high priority. This tool does that and it is a good monitoring solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would have to rate it a nine. They get a good rating because of the support and the features. Whatever they communicate, they provide.

More ManageEngine OpManager reviews from users
...who work at a Non Tech Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds NPM
Find out what your peers are saying about ManageEngine, SolarWinds, Paessler AG and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.