ManageEngine OpManager Review

Enables the defining of thresholds, monitor, and alarm with multiple severities per monitor

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this product would be the ability to define thresholds, monitor, and alarm. Having the ability to set multiple severities per monitor allows for a proactive environment.

How has it helped my organization?

OpManager was able to provide graphs associating trending for disk growth and other hardware/network utilization.

What needs improvement?

The new user interface of 12.x is a major change from the legacy UI of 11.x and Fluid UI. The UI changes look nice and 12.x is geared towards mobility, but finding its settings can be challenging. I have found many inconsistencies between switching back and forth between the the legacy UI and Fluid UI as far as settings changing.

Also, every time I perform a version upgrade, something breaks.

I have also stumbled across many bugs, leading me to think that the quality control is lacking.

There is a big lack of documentation and feature requests rarely happen.

The OpManager community is very sparse on the ME forums as well.

A simpler backup solution would be nice. Especially one that doesn't require downtime. I had to script my own daily scheduled task which would run the backup script and rename the file by date and dump it into a folder that is backed up to tape. Their ADSelfService Plus product is great with backups and there is obviously a disconnect between teams if they can't share code to make backups easier.

I have used this solution for approximately five years.

Stability issues were rare, but did happen. They were usually remediated quickly by ME OpManager support.

My experience with scaling OpManager is minimal. However, when scaling out a VM environment, I have experienced issues requiring the VM hosts to be rediscovered, VMs removed from OpManager and re-discovered, and in some cases an entire VM host removed and re-added.

Tech support was good, however with their California time zone, not having 24/7 coverage is very disappointing, especially since any major changes were outside of normal business hours.

I have used Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, OpenNMS, and PRTG. I worked for a company which had an instance of OpManager (9.x). It just worked and I fell in love with the workflow. Adding devices was a breeze and the trend data was simple to pull up and analyze, not to mention reporting features.

The initial setup of OpManager is very easy and straightforward. Unlike some competitors, especially on the Linux side, the wizard will guide you through your install and you'll be up and running in minutes. OpManager has a self-contained web server and SQL server that make life easy.

Pricing can be a bit high, but if you take advantage of the expertise of the developers and support like I did, it'll pay for itself. Also, if you have other ManageEngine products, they will provide additional discounts.

I did evaluate Nagios and Cacti (the combination), but being the only Linux guru at the time, no one was really on board with the maintenance and support for the Open Source solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Start out with the latest version and keep the product up-to-date. Most of my issues have stemmed from starting as a 10.x install and slowly upgrading to the latest version.