ManageEngine OpManager Review

Generates helpful reports in our hybrid environment

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used by Saudi Customs, and there are different classifications of ports. We have land ports, airports, and dry ports. In total, we have almost forty-two remote sites with a semi-centralized data center. We have both on-premises and cloud-based deployments in a distributed system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the network-related reporting. This solution generates daily reports for network statistics, such as router uptime and events.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard has some limitations and should be more user-friendly. Other solutions, such as SolarWinds, have much better dashboards. This solution is difficult to use for non-technical users.

Having an option to call the help desk, like in other solutions, would be very useful for some problems. It would provide much more help for the end-user, or for those who are less technical.

This solution is not suitable for enterprise-sized deployments, as it sometimes hangs and needs to be restarted.

This solution has issues with connectivity from the client-side.

With respect to technical support, escalation through the levels has to be easier.

We have been using this solution for almost two years.

This solution is good for a smaller or medium-sized business. In an enterprise environment like ours, which is very big, the solution sometimes hangs and we need to restart. It may have to do with the configuration, I think it may be because of our large number of work stations and servers.

SolarWinds is more stable than this solution. OpManager seems to have more connectivity issues from the client-side.

Scaling this solution is easy. Sometimes, there is an issue where there is a conflict with licenses, but this is resolved with a call to technical support.

In terms of people using this solution, we have approximately twenty users in the data center, and one or two people for each port.

Technical support for this solution is fine. However, it is very hard to reach level one. Level two and three are ok, but they just give a general answer, such as switch something on or restart. Sometimes we need a technical person who can troubleshoot our problems quickly, which requires level one. It can take a lot of time to escalate through the levels. If you have a critical issue then it can be escalated to level one immediately.

Technical support has to be improved because for us to always start at level three, it is wasting our time.

Prior to this solution, we were using SolarWinds. It is a better product than the offering by ManageEngine, and I prefer it.

This product was recommended by our manager so we implemented a POC and found that it can mostly fulfill our requirements. We switched because we are running other ManageEngine products for things like Inventory Management, and the users are familiar with it.

During the initial setup, there are interviews by the Site Engineer. Once the setup is complete, our engineer will take care of the configuration and support. If there are any issues then we have to engage with the Site Engineer.

We handle the deployment on our own and ask for help if we need it.

What other advice do I have?

We are using another product from the same vendor that's called Device Control. This product is for working on remote sites, and it is necessary because OpManager cannot fulfill our requirements. In Device Control you have the ability to troubleshoot, remote control, and you have inventory management.

For anybody who is researching this type of solution, I would suggest doing a POC to see if this solution will satisfy your goals and requirements in your environment. This will help you with your selection.