ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus Review

Robust, excellent patch deployment, and overall good stability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically for patching systems. Instead of patching using SCCM, that's Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager, we used ManageEngine. The product has agents installed on workstations. Those agents communicate within a central server and pull patches and installs them on the workstations. It's pretty straightforward.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easier for us to measure patch compliance now than it was before. That saves us time and guesswork.

What is most valuable?

The ability to deploy patches seamlessly is the solution's most valuable aspect. It allows us to not only deploy patches but to monitor the deployment of those patches.

It eases the process of patch deployment, and it allows us to easily know what patches are available. We're able to manage our path cycles properly to let us know which systems require a reboot. In some instances, we will know if there is enough storage on the system. The solution also does patching for third-party applications, like an Apache Server. It picks it up and lets you know if there is a patch available for the Apache Server or SQL Server. It's not just OS packages. It also does application packages as well. It's very robust.

What needs improvement?

The ability to do out of network patching needs to be added to the solution. For example, a lot of people are working from home now. It will take a lot of strength to make sure the patches are applied since the machines aren't technically within our network. If there's a way one can ensure that endpoints outside the corporate environment can be reached and accessed for patching, that would be ideal.

The agent can be a bit more intelligent.

I've been working with the solution for just over a year now.

It's very stable. We have no issue with the cost to build it or to install it and start using it. We have more servers than workstations.

The solution scales fine. However, it's license based, so once you reach your limit, it will prompt you to procure an extra license for more endpoints. Apart from that, it's pretty scalable.

You also need to have some storage to temporarily hold the downloaded patches, maybe about 500GB depending on the size of the organization. Apart from that, resource utilization isn't so intensive.

We have about seven people using the solution in our company. They are from the security team and from the server admin.

Technical support, so far, has been very responsive. We had an issue once related to adding indexes to patch agents outside of the organization's network. That was the last discussion we had with them. We Just needed some clarifications on how the head server works and what we needed to do to set it up. They were great. We were satisfied with their level of service.

We were previously using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, SCCM. It wasn't giving us the kind of reporting we needed. Then the deployment of patches weren't very effective. We needed something else that we could rely on.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very straightforward.

Deployment took just over a week. Within three or four days we were up and running. The server itself took about two or three days to implement. Two days were spent actually setting up the server. After that, we just had to install and configure everything. Then we deployed agents to workstations and that took about three, four days. It was a week or so in total, from beginning to end.

About five people were involved in the deployment process, including support from the local team. Three people, who were server administrators, from my organization and two people from the local support team were involved.

There aren't really extra costs involved beyond licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We aren't resellers or consultants.

I don't know what the exact version of the solution we are using is, however it is the latest one.

The solution is definitely something a company should try. It's a better alternative to the traditional SCCM. Compared to other security products, it's not expensive.

It's a great solution. It works quite well.

I would give it a rating of eight out of ten. It does what it mentions it will do and it does very well.

More ManageEngine Patch Manager Plus reviews from users