ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Review

I use it in a Fortune 1000 company to show physical topologies of software to hardware relationships. It helps eliminate confusion of what hardware/software/users are impacted in DR or maintenance.

Valuable Features

I'm currently using ServiceDesk Plus for lifeCycle management and inventory relationships with the CMDB.

Improvements to My Organization

I use ServiceDesk Plus in a Fortune 1000 company to show physical topologies of software to hardware relationships. With so many applications living on so many servers and with databases housing data for multiple applications, it is difficult to trace and understand the relationship between them. ServiceDesk Plus helps eliminate confusion of what hardware/software/users are impacted during a DR or scheduled maintenance.

Room for Improvement

The search feature is hidden and limited to specific categories of assets. When searching for an asset, you need to know the category in which it exits. If it was not scanned properly and it was not categorized correctly, you will need to scan the asset from all CI types. And when that is done, you lose the action menu for the asset. However, once you discover what category the asset lives in, then you can search that category specifically to enable the actions drop-down menu.

Also, there seems to be a lack of the ability to export assets in the CMDB. A report can be generated but not exported. The only option is to copy the contents of the report on the screen and to paste them into Excel. This is not a good option since it brings along an image for each asset and a hyper link. The application certainly needs a good export.

Change Management and Service Catalog lack any decent customization. You are forced to fit you business needs with the functionality of the product.

Support needs a serious attention. Getting any help is next to impossible.

They do not flow together very well. The product feels like many different solutions packed into one.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 1 year.

I did not deploy this product as it was already deployed by the company I am consulting for.

We've had no issues with stability at this time, but I have only worked with it for a short period of time.

I've used the product across multiple countries, several plants, and corporate offices for a Fortune 1000 company with no issues. I would say scalability is good.

Technical support has been horrible to deal with. It can take days to return your call if they return it at all. When they finally do work with you on questions or problems they are not much help.

I have found their forums to be a much better place to get questions answered.

Implementation Team

The application was installed by the local IT team at the company.

Other Solutions Considered

I currently use Spiceworks for our solution and to monitor several other customer sites. This product is a little more robust in the inventory and topology of the assets. If you are looking for a good CMDB, I would choose this product over Spiceworks. However, I have not had a chance to work with the help desk modules of this product and cannot express any comparison to Spiceworks in that regard.

Other Advice

Since my last review I have spent much more time with this product. Although it is an all in one solution for many technologies they do not flow very well together nor is it an Enterprise solution. It does help desk and inventory very well. Other modules such as Change Management and Service Catalog are there but lack good customization to fit your enterprise needs.

1 visitor found this review helpful