MapR Review

Enables us to create preview models and has good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for creating preview models.

What is most valuable?

The model creation was very interesting, especially with the libraries provided by the platform.

What needs improvement?

The interface part, what I'm calling the integration part, could be improved. Although it was able to connect to Hadoop, pocket files and so on. For example, providing some API endpoints for capturing all the streaming parts wasn't well-developed at that point. But today, if I'm honest, they've added all these streaming ports.

Having the ability to extend the services provided by the platform to an API and micro-services architecture, could be very helpful. It could be used in different contexts and also integrated into a personal system for example or mobile applications, mobile content or some sort, and so on. API and micro-services architecture, all the features behind that, could be very interesting.

I've been using the solution for about two years.

The solution was very stable.

The solution is very scalable indeed. They had a pinnable feature, based on the underlying component like Spark and they're a level five system, which I think is a clone of Hadoop, which is well managed. I'd say it was very scalable indeed.

I was creating our own platform because we work with something very focused on the pipeline and wanted to have something totally integrated into the information system. We also wanted to provide end-to-end service use, for the prediction and IT intelligence. It wasn't the case with MapR.

The initial setup was easy. It was an easy installation for setting up the platform, so it was quite straightforward. Deployment was less than half a day, it was a couple of hours or something like that. You only need one person for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I used to work with the Map Plus form, for two years, in 2016/2017, and I went back to the product to see what kind of new improvements they made to the platform. I'm not currently using it at the moment. I'm planning to get back to it soon.

We were, at that time, creating another product to be sold on the market and we wanted something that could educate different sources of data. Their connector list wasn't long enough. We stopped after one year, maybe less, because we started in September 2016, working with that platform, and then we switched in 2017. I think less than a year.

Today, I would recommend the solution. I had exactly the same question from someone who was interviewing me for a job, and he wanted to know on which platform I worked before, and I listed Cloudar, Hortonworks, and MapR, and he wanted my opinion on the three, and my first choice. My first choice is MapR, as it is more adaptable to different contexts, and it could be customized in some way to fit the different needs, and this is my first choice and my first advice to people who ask me about this particular platform.

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

I rate it an eight because, from my point of view, such a platform will not be used as a standalone solution, it has to be integrated into an information system, with operational systems together on the back end and also to write positions that could be back integrated into the operational system recommendations, positions, and so on. Then I think it creates API architecture, a micro-services orientation of the platform.