Matillion BI Review

Allows users to view updated information daily without having to log into the system.

What is most valuable?

• Scheduled Reporting: The solution allows all users, offsite or onsite, to view updated information daily without having to log into the system. It also frees up time for the users when setting up reports daily themselves.
  • Ad hoc reporting: Key users have access to create any report they wish. The user interface allows for the easy creation of reports, especially in a graphical format.
  • Auto sync: We have an outdated ERP system, so the ability to read up-to-date information daily on Matillion avoids having to download complex reports from an old system.

How has it helped my organization?

• Trend Analysis: With the reporting feature, we are finding it easier and quicker to look at trends.
  • Offsite access: If employees are offsite, they now have the ability to look at reports via the internet instead of having to call someone back at the head office. This is especially useful if people are in different time zones, etc.

What needs improvement?

Graphical and dashboard information could be improved upon, especially with the level of customization. More complex graphs need to be written in code, instead of being able to use the default functions.

Our business does not have the skills to use, for example, SQL, to write graphs etc. We are therefore limited to the “default” graphs which are set to pie, bar and scatter etc.

We have been using the solution for three years.

Due to our older ERP, growing pains were present while trying to get the information from the ERP, to Matillion, to the user in the best format.

The iReport program, used to build more advanced reports, does not work on our computers. However, this is an issue with our IT and not Matillion. This works on my personal computer at home.

The scalability is OK. However, we have a relatively small user base on site. Most users were involved in the implementation at some stage.

The technical support is excellent. Communication avenues are through online chat, email, and telephone. Most issues are solved within the hour. Any items which take a bit of time to solve are always communicated.

We didn't use any solution previously.

The setup was relatively straightforward. Due to the nature of our ERP system, it was about getting the “right” data out of the system. The only real difficulty was populating the system with older information. Our system only holds three years of data, and we wanted five years of sales history.

Make sure you know what your users need. For example, whether they need to create or view reports. You can get more users on read-only.

We started off with all users on the create setting, we but found that most sales managers, for example, only needed the read-only function.

There were other evaluated solutions, but I am unable to provide information. I think there were three companies queried, with two being invited onsite to showcase their products.

What other advice do I have?

• Map your system so you know what datasets need to link to each other. This will save time in the future.
  • Get end users involved. We feel that we got more acceptance because we asked the sales team to create their own reports.
  • Use scheduled reporting: This is one aspect our users appreciate.
  • Avoid over complicating the system. In our implementation, we brought through most fields and datasets. In reality, we didn’t need 60% of what we brought through. The users, and especially the directors and sales team, like to keep things simple.