McAfee Application Control Review

Easy to configure, reliable, secure, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to secure ATM.

How has it helped my organization?

It does its job well, and it's not causing a lot of trouble. We have enough knowledge to resolve the issues. We have not had many issues at all, but we do have the knowledge to deal with this critical product.

What is most valuable?

This is a basic solution; the policy screen is okay, and it's easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

With some specific versions, we are experiencing some issues where the policy configuration has some problems with the parent and child processes. There have been problems with the relationship between the parent and child process, from time to time.

I would like to see better reporting and alerting features in the future.

I have been using McAfee Application Control for four years.

I can say that it is quite stable. We have not experienced many issues with that. There are not many features or things that can cause some issues.

This has not been a frequent occurrence, maybe twice a year. We are careful with the upgrades.

It's a scalable and flexible product. We have seven admins who are using it.

They need to evolve in what they are doing. I don't think at this time we will increase our usage.

Technical support is not too bad. They are quite mature and have experience with the product. We have not experienced any issues with support.

Approximately three months ago, we contacted technical support regarding a memory problem we were having. It was a problem with one of the latest versions that was causing memory leaks and some of our ATMs crashed due to this issue.

The initial setup is straightforward for me because I have years of experience.

It might be challenging for new beginners.

The time for deployment depends on the environment. If for example, we have an environment with 3000 ATMs, it will take some time but it depends on the testing procedure. It might take a month to deploy.

I am not dealing with this area. I am not sure about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in this solution, you need to follow a procedure before it's deployed. It needs to be well tested at first and started with the most predictable environment, and then increase the number of deployments.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Carbon Black, Ivanti and others in Application Control. Updated: April 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.