McAfee Complete Data Protection Review

The device control is more reliable and more stable but the interface is not easy for administrators

What is most valuable?

With this solution, the device control is more reliable and more stable. We even use it for our email policies, but we are mainly using it in our environment for device protection policies. We are controlling almost all types of devices, like USB and CD-ROM devices, imaging devices, and even cameras. So we are basically able to control everything in our environment.

What needs improvement?

If you compare this solution with next-generation products like CrowdStrike, you will find that it should be easier to work on and therefore more user-friendly. With this solution, data protection is not straightforward. So McAfee should focus more on ease of management and user-friendliness.

I would also like to have an option to migrate from the old environment to the new, graphical environment. The interface itself is not easy for administrators because they have to check everything. The integration of AD users in the DLP can also improve as well as taking reports. For instance, if a user wants information on the kind of report in the DLP, I can currently not look at it. I need to get a proper DLP report.

Also, if my management is asking a report, I must be able to tell how many users' USB is blocked. Right now I am not able to see what policy I implemented and how many users I have. Those are the basic things that McAfee should improve during the migration process. It should be straightforward.

We've been using McAfee Complete Data Protection for more than ten years now on premise.

The solution is very stable.

I believe it is scalable but there is always room for improvement. I like the ease of management and you can add the how-to, create a policy, and make new sections. I prefer CrowdStrike's device control when it comes to email policies because it is more straightforward. I believe it is because everything is moving towards the Cloud now. I'm not saying that McAfee is not going to the Cloud, but the product can be more advanced. I still personally feel that, even for a small-sized company, mid-sized company, or even a company with more than 2000, 5000 users, this product is really good.

The technical support of McAfee is good and that is why we use McAfee products. The support and protection is very prompt.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward and we didn't experience any complications. What I like, is that the data is basically integrated with McAfee so you can use the afim interface for integration. It is straightforward to implement your DLP with the afim server.

We use Email Gateway, but now we use a couple of McAfee products like the antivirus and DLP.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are looking for a DLP solution, a data protection solution, would be to go for it. Along with the antivirus protection, I would definitely suggest the company to go for the next generation in antivirus or EDR or sensing technology which is currently more available in the market. There is more, newer technology on the market today. And antivirus properties of McAfee technology, like scanning the viruses and things like that, is more traditional, conventional technology. I will not say to go ahead with the antivirus, but McAfee's DLP data protection is still very good and it is one of the stable solutions on the market. I will rate it a seven out of ten.