McAfee Complete Data Protection Review

Nice interface, feature-rich, and the technical support is helpful, but spinning disk performance needs to improve

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for folder and disk encryption. One encrypted folder in Drive D: for each PC user and disk encryption for all notebook PCs, especially for sensitive or confidential data.

How has it helped my organization?

The McAfee Policy Orchestrator did a fair job in overall control and management of encryption. A centralized repository of various functions is provided in an excellent user interface and menu system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are effective folder and disk encryption, and the practical server console-started agent/encryption module deployment to endpoints are highly commendable.

The server software console is exquisitely designed and organized for handy access and manipulation by the administrator.

Encryption user assignment and key generation can be performed fast enough.

What needs improvement?

Well expectedly, the upgrade process from Orchestrator v5.32 to 5.91 will be a bit painful for a lengthy and hardly completed client saturation (i.e. ensuing endpoint upgrade, if not done after server & SHA cert update committed, the client(s) will completely fail to work again) for our 1300+ endpoints. These included PCs and offline notebooks, which cannot be easily kept online over an extended period of time waiting for saturation in an undetermined upgrade order. I would like to have an easier and less-hassle upgrade process in future releases of the software, and extra license renewal price discounts too.

Procurement/license renewal options should also be devised by McAfee for continually incremental buying by an organization over its lifetime of usage.

Additionally, export and re-import of encryption keys in a batch could also be available as an extra orchestrator module for seamless transfer in case of server migration/re-installation.

Noticeably, the disk encryption process is far swifter on PCs/notebooks equipped with SSD drives but a speed improvement should better be available in future releases for mechanical disk drives for still being existent in the years to come.

I have been using McAfee Complete Data Protection for three years.

Apart from the disk encryption process that has a couple of times failed to transfer the initial encryption login password to the client PCs, in which token recovery was required, we have come across very few issues.

Good variety of modules and easy incorporation.

We have raised support cases to McAfee and they responded in a professional and helpful manner and completed with successful resolutions.

Our previous experience with Symantec encryption has left a lot of room for improvements such as deployment/redeployment ease and Active Directory integration. We, therefore, chose McAfee for its feature-richness and a reasonable price with good market acceptance and knowledge availability.

The initial setup can be done in two days or so, highly recommended with the assistance by experienced solution contractors.

We hired a contractor I.T. company to have initially installed everything and configured the total solution to work successfully. The organization-wide deployment from scratch at the beginning is simple, fast and problem-free, enough though we preferred using remote execution of DOS scripts to copy and run the installer at client endpoints.

In a word, it was a good and satisfactory start.

This solution is reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

So far, we are satisfied with the overall results and the product welcomed by end-users with few complaints.

Google