McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection Review

Good reporting and compliance. Easy to administer.

Valuable Features

McAfee Endpoint Protection is a a good product that's easy to administer. It provides endpoint protection for desktops, laptops, and servers, and the protection includes anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spam, DLP, and encryption.

Improvements to My Organization

We're less affected by viruses and threats on end-user device, able to manage all endpoints from a centralized server across locations. We're also able to encrypt sensitive laptops with ease. Very good reporting and compliance to endpoints.

Room for Improvement

It needs much better control on zero-day viruses and easier submission of threats to McAfee. They also need to improve the DLP rules since loads of false positives and patch releases are not quick enough when a new OS hits the market. Because of this, there are incompatibility issues which cause slowness on end-user devices.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

Deployment of agents and products to end-user machines is straightforward and easy. The basic McAfee ePO deployment is not easy and you need good knowledge in SQL and servers.

Patch release is not fast when there is a new OS on the market, so compatibility issues will come and can cause slowness on end-user devices. For example, I had a tough time when Windows 10 was released and the devices were not protected for a month, which is not advisable.

The upgrade of the new ePO from older versions always have issues and need support from McAfee engineers all the time. In a span of three years, we had upgraded three times and all three times were difficult. But the engineers were good enough and at the end of the day, they fixed it.

We had no issues with the stability.

We had no issues with the scalability.

Excellent 8.5/10

9/10 - Very fast support and engineers have good knowledge of the products. They show patience in understanding the issues before taking any action/recommendations, which I personally appreciate. They also have an escalation matrix that provides for faster response time depending on issue severity.

I have used Symantec, not happy with their support and was facing lots of performance issues.

The initial setup is complex as loads of communication (ports between server, clients and locations) has to be done, making setup difficult. You need a good engineer who has knowledge of SQL, database, servers, and firewalls.

Implementation Team

Our environment was a mix. I prefer to do it with a vendor and Intel Support.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing was good and licensing is on a per-user basis, so it's flexible. All the products will work, but only AV signatures will stop downloading.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated Kaspersky and Trend Micro.

Other Advice

Always test on all environments and different OS's before deploying into production, especially VSE, DLP, and encryption.