McAfee Endpoint Security Review

Provides good visibility, supports drive encryption, and the threat intelligence capability improves overall security

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a lot of information and great visibility, with really great options for managing the environment.

What is most valuable?

The desktop firewall is a great product. It can be set to allow only authorized applications to communicate with the internet. In this way, it can block the changes for an unknown application to access our command and control server and to receive encryption keys. It is very good at preventing crypto-malware.

Their drive encryption is perfect.

You can create a complete inventory of all available executable files on the machine and whitelist the ones that you want, then lock the machine so that nothing else can be executed.

The web filtering is quite good at the endpoint level.

The threat intelligence exchange product is great because at the moment malware is detected on one device or other devices and endpoints, our servers are informed about the threats and they will be automatically recognized.

The solution has a ton of products and great features.

ePO can now be integrated with products from other vendors such as BeyondTrust, Boldon James, Titus, and you can even control Microsoft BitLocker. The architecture is easily extended and upgraded.

What needs improvement?

The vendor should simplify the way they bundle the products because it's very hard to explain to customers what products contain which features.

This product requires Microsoft SQL Server as a database and you have to deploy it yourself, then later integrate it with the console.

I have been using McAfee Endpoint Security since it first entered the market, which was several years ago.

This is a stable product. I have been working with their console since version 4.6 in 2011 and in cases where it stopped working, I was able to recover easily and it was repaired when the issue was solved. None of them crashed in a way that you could not recover from and fix it. The repairs were always relatively easy.

It is very scalable. We have four or five people in the office, but I have a few thousand workstations that are being protected by it. We have more than 10 ePO consoles, with some on-premises and some on the cloud.

We rarely needed to contact support from the vendor. In the situations when we needed some configuration from them, the response was always good.

We are McAfee partners, so I have used almost all of their endpoint products.

The initial setup is a little bit complicated, although this is because it has a tremendous number of features. Almost anything that you can think of can be configured.

The time required to deploy an ePO server with endpoint security depends on the number of endpoints in the environment, as well as the business processes. Some things require monitoring and observation over time, but in general, it can be set up over two or three days.

Our in-house team is responsible for the deployment, which requires one engineer on-site. We also provide support to our clients.

The pricing is great and licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

In general, it is a really great product and I recommend it. I don't have any objections and most of the users only use perhaps 25% of the features that are available. I cannot remember a time that I needed a feature and it wasn't available in the console.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More McAfee Endpoint Security reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.