McAfee Endpoint Security Review

Good remote installation and malware detection with the capability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

The remote installation capabilities are very helpful for us. Its automatic installation is a good feature.

The malware detection is very good.

The features, for the most part, are reliable. When installed as endpoint security, ransomware detected on any endpoint will be automatically quarantined there. It's then disconnected from the network and users are able to clean up that particular wireless area.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

The solution scales well.

The solution offers good patches pretty regularly.

What needs improvement?

The solution takes up a high amount of memory and can cause the system to hang.

The malware detection, as good as it is, does not seem to be deployed correctly. It's not doing system quarantine. If a system gets attacked by ransomware, it's not going to be quarantined correctly.

If someone wants to filter or asks the system, "Please remove that antivirus we don't want it here," due to the fact that we don't want to work on a specific system, we get frustrated as it won't remove itself. It just starts scanning when we don't want it to and it begins to slow down everything when we need to do important work.

We would like there to be better reports that we could take to management to have them be able to look at.

Recently, we have seen that Ransomware updating is starting with just SQL services. It would be nice if it was offered across the board.

I've been using the solution for about one year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

While the system is stable and we are getting malware protection, we've found that the one big thing is that we are getting performance issues. Every system goes slow. There is a significant slowdown when we install the McAfee agent. That's one of the big issues we're just facing continually.

The solution scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We don't get any support from McAfee. If the endpoint server is down or something is not working, or the data is not connected, you may need technical support, however, in truth, we haven't had any type of these problems. From the server-side, it was working perfectly, providing the proper reports. We haven't had any real issues and therefore haven't needed to reach out.

I have some experience with Sophos and Trend Micro Apex One. I find them to be a bit better than McAfee in terms of capabilities.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process. It's pretty normal, pretty standard.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We're doing the latest version of the solution. I do not have the version number on-hand.

50% of companies are facing ransomware issues right now. We have also faced that in the past. That's why we have looked into Apex One. We have installed that. All systems are under Apex One. Everything is updated, however, it's not protected as it's not continuously communicating with the data centers. They are not updating the algorithm as they should. They need to make improvements to that part.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution for companies just working with a few documents, however, if you are an enterprise, you might find that the solution slows down your system and it could affect your work in general.

More McAfee Endpoint Security reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.