McAfee Endpoint Security Review

Stable with good technical support and very good threat prevention capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution for threat detection. It's for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty good for threat prevention, web protection, adaptive threat protection, and other tasks.

The solution is very stable.

We have had a good experience dealing with technical support.

The product is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we have the threat prevention as well as the web protection, and the McAfee firewall, which we were using before, however, we have not installed it on any of our machines. We have disabled it due to the fact that a lot of stuff was being blocked, it was blocking a lot of internal stuff, which meant it needed some fine-tuning. We were supposed to fine-tune it so that we can recognize our items, however, we're still working on that.

We wanted an EDR solution, and our first option was McAfee as the EDR would go hand in hand with the Endpoint integration. We'd like McAfee to offer stronger security. It's not that it isn't strong right now, however, it needs to continue to improve as attacks are always evolving. We are concerned some attacks may be able to find a way to bypass McAfee. If the solution offered something that could detect better, it would be ideal. It would add more value to what is already in place.

I know that they have application control and all the like. The one feature that maybe is lacking is a different module for the antivirus, however, we have a lot of applications that are running in our environment that were not authorized.

Users can just install software into their computers. We need some sort of application control system that, if there are any pieces of software that are not whitelisted, then the solution could flag it or maybe alert the administers. That would be very helpful.

I joined the organization a little while back in 2016 and when I got here they were already using McAfee product. Therefore, I've been using the solution for a few years now.

We've found the solution to be quite stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

We haven't tried scaling it to as normally the license that we buy, we buy for 650 Rand and at this point, we haven't even tried adding more to try and scale it to that.

The tech support has been superb. You log a call. Sometimes we are in a different time zone when we log a service request. However, they are very responsive. I was on the line with them a few hours ago and they were helping me with an issue I was having. We are currently in the process of consolidating our SQL servers. We want them to be running from a centralized server instead of having different SQL servers scattered all over the place. Technical support is really great at helping us with the process.

While I wasn't at the company for the original implementation, looking at it, it's not that complex of a process. When I got here, we were using the lower version and then we've just upgraded it and used a higher version level. The process wasn't difficult. We upgraded to 10.5, 10.6, now we are on 10.7.

We pay 650 Rand for a license. It is a perpetual license which we normally run for two years. It will be expiring sometime in July and our renewal is normally for two years.

When we are looking at the pricing, nobody will ever say the pricing is bad. Normally what we do is we'll take quotes from different local partners, as McAfee doesn't allow us to buy direct from them. Therefore, we typically deal with resellers.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with McAfee.

We are a central bank and one of the things that we haven't really experienced or gone into is putting our solutions into the cloud - even though everything is moving in that direction. We are moving slowly in that direction as well. We'll get there one day.

I have found this solution easy to use. When you need support, you get it. Even in terms of protection, it's fine. I would recommend it to other users.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

10.7
More McAfee Endpoint Security reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.