McAfee Enterprise Security Manager (McAfee ESM) Review

Biggest benefit is its easy scalability. It doesn't restrict you to a particular hardware or storage solution​.

What is most valuable?

It's SIEM. Obviously, normalization of data is the biggest factor.

How has it helped my organization?

We perform security event monitoring for over 700 individual servers, firewalls, and applications. It's not possible to monitor over 500 million events per day with SIEM.

What needs improvement?

McAfee is working on a newer ELS product for a faster search which will change everything about how a SIEM can perform.

I have been using this product for the past eight years.

Just like any other software/hardware platform, once in awhile we have issues with software bugs, but McAfee's support is good in helping to fix these issues in a timely manner.

Biggest benefit of McAfee SIEM is its easy scalability. It doesn't restrict you to a particular hardware or storage solution.

Mcafee's SIEM support team is very good.

I used ArcSight at a different job, but when we bought SIEM at my current job, it was NitroView. Later, McAfee acquired them.

It had a few hurdles initially, but in its current versions and offerings McAfee SIEM is sort of plug and play. It has so many offerings out-of-the-box.

McAfee's pricing is competitive in the industry and their licensing model is for hardware only.

We checked ArcSight, but their pricing was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

McAfee ESM is the perfect SIEM tool, and it provides best results based on data intake and rule based configuration.

I would suggest users identify the data sources they want to interject into SIEM for monitoring, correlation, and work with the sales team to understand the total EPS and choose the right set of hardware, especially the ESM which will perform majority of work for your organization. With the right specs for hardware, it will help you achieve your goal.

1 visitor found this review helpful