McAfee Enterprise Security Manager (McAfee ESM) Review

Correlates events from various platforms and reduces our response time in case of attack

What is our primary use case?

As a bank, we have different cases use cases that are typical for the industry.

How has it helped my organization?

On the security side, it reduces the time needed to make changes in case of an attack. We have to work on it in real time. If we didn't have the tool, the amount of time would be double or triple. The main reason we have it is that it makes it easier for the engineer who works on the site to realize what is happening. It helps with productivity.

McAfee has always been there for us and it helps with the maturity of our security program.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capability to correlate different events from different platforms that we feed into it. It makes it easier to engineer the box on our side so that we can realize what is happening and do something about it. It gives us the tools to know what's happening and make a change in one of the downstream platforms to reject a connection or the like.

What needs improvement?

Although we're a South American bank, our products are pretty much the same as North American banks. The types of things they would install in North America are what we have here.

But there are some banking and transactional cases that are local, South American transactions. I would like to see them add features that can be used locally, to make those transactions more reliable.

The stability is really good.

The scalability depends on how much you want to pay for it. If I need a bigger solution, the vendor is going to be able to add more features to the machine, or even change it. It all depends on how much are you willing to spend.

For technical support, we work in two ways. We have a partner that is looking after the platform, and we have the vendor as well. If we have a problem with the partner, we can call McAfee. So overall, support is good.

They should double check what they are doing with customers. I have had some trouble trying improve the use case. I was hoping that they help me with that, show me the way.

The vendor, McAfee, works with a partner and the partner sells to us. We use a partner.

Our company looked at Splunk three years ago. Every couple of years we look around at what's in the market. For us, it's quite difficult to try other ones, because of the time and costs involved. That's why I'm not sure if McAfee is the best solution, but it's good enough for me.

We're always looking to make improvements and if the products we have are not good enough, or we see that another brand is making something better, we will migrate.

What other advice do I have?

To make a decision you have to really know what your budget is, how much money you have to buy a solution, and what the main reason is that you are looking for a tool like this. You can always find something cheaper for a small company. Everyone has pretty much the same tools. But if you're going to play with the big ones, like McAfee, you have to be willing to spend a lot of money and, obviously, you'll get the service you need. You have to know your company, what your needs are, and then go shopping. Look around. It's important to look at the tools, how they are deployed in your architecture.

I would rate the solution at eight out of ten. It's good enough to do the things that we need done, but I'm not sure if it's the best in the market.