McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Review

Protects us from USB-based hazards and enables read-only access to hard drives

What is our primary use case?

With this solution we use ENS with DLP. DLP works in controlling data protection when transferring data from PC to USB, USB to PC. We also use it for read-only access for hard disks. In DLP we have many options which we can work with.

Currently, we are using it for the clipboard, where we cannot capture screenshots from the PC screen, as well as for USB locking/data transfer, and the hard disk protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has secured our environment. We have over 200 machines.

What is most valuable?

It is protecting us from USB-based hazards like viruses. Previously it was only for blocking USBs. They have added more features, like network protection.

Originally, we were only using it as a security platform to block USBs and as an antivirus product. But in the last six or seven months, we've been trying to enhance things and use more of the features in it. In that time we implemented data transfer protection, which allows transfer in one direction only. Users can copy from the PC to the USB but not from the USB to the PC. That way, if someone is carrying a virus on a USB, it will not be transferred to the PC.

We also implemented read-only access to the secondary drives, the D drive, C drive, and E drive.

Three to five years.

It is stable.

I have opened a few cases with technical support and their support is good. It depends on what type of contract you have with them. If you have an Enterprise Support contract, or a Platinum Support contract, they do provide very fast support solutions. If you have basic support, it will take one or two days.

It's a little bit complex to configure it, but when you start using it, it is much easier. There are many policies that you need to create, and in three or four places. When you assign the policies then it starts working.

In terms of an implementation strategy, we need to get the requirements from the customer. It depends on their requirements. You have many options, many features. It depends on what you want to configure. If you're looking only for a particular part, only DLP for example, it depends what you need within that. But for DLP it will take about one day to finish.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC with competitors' endpoint protection products. But compared to what McAfee has, I don't think other products have as many options, as many features. If you want to protect data, DLP is a good option.

In terms of scalability, they're introducing more and new more features in ENS, Endpoint Security. If a ransomware attack happens, you can roll the encryption to its previous position. This is what they are implementing, according to their articles.

For maintenance of ePO, one guy is enough. If the server is ready, if the database and the platforms are ready, one guy can oversee the product. But you still need someone who is strong in SQL and someone who can install operating systems.

I have not compared this product to any other product. If I had then I could rate it properly. But, overall, it's good, it's not a bad product. I would rate it at nine out of ten. The product has everything I need.