McAfee ESM Review

It is easy to use and deploy, but it lacks proper support

What is our primary use case?

We use McAfee ESM for IT operations and a few security-related things.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and deploy. It comes with user-friendly manuals.

What needs improvement?

McAfee is no more providing security updates on this product, and the enhancements to this product seem to have stopped. Moreover, we don't get proper support, and we struggle to get its support.

It would be good if they can add some AI engine and out of the box use cases because it is currently limited to the same scenario and the same setup. I have done a POC for Securonix, LogRhythm. These products are much more ahead as compared to McAfee ESM. They have included multiple modules in the same solution. Correlation is very easy. If McAfee ESM can improve, especially in such implementations, then I believe it would be much better.

I have been using McAfee ESM for maybe the last six years.

It has very good stability.

So far, we haven't tried scaling. Because it is on-premises, it is almost a setup environment. We don't do any major changes on the same site because it is quite critical and gets alerts. We don't want to mess up with our configuration.

They take a long time, and the technical person who comes from support doesn't seem to be knowledgeable. When something goes wrong on the hardware or the application side, or we need some technical support in filling up use cases, it takes a long time.

We always struggle to get proper support from their technical support team. It seems that there is only one person who is handling the Middle East technical support, and when we don't get that person, we struggle a lot.

The initial setup was straightforward. There were no complications in its deployment.

Its deployment was done by an engineer in our company.

We are a security team of five members. Whoever a ticket is assigned to handles the cases.

The cost is all included. The finance department handles the financial part, and we mostly don't get involved in it.

What other advice do I have?

We are quite happy with the product and its stability, but the problem is the lack of support, which is one of the major issues that we are facing. I really look forward to them providing proper technical support.

I would rate McAfee ESM a seven out of ten.

10.5
More McAfee ESM reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
Learn what your peers think about McAfee ESM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.