McAfee Firewall Enterprise MFE Review

For managing multiple MFE firewalls it is incredibly handy but it could be easier for customers to migrate from one version to another.

What is most valuable?

For managing multiple MFE firewalls it is incredibly handy, convenient, and it is easy to use the product with McAfee Control Centre. This provides a most valuable means to manage all your firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Using it with control centre allows you to manage all McAfee Firewalls using a central accounting and authorisation system such as Cisco ACS, Radius or Active Directory. It also allows for a ticketing/workflow system which competes with Checkpoint.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if more time was spent considering ways in which it helps, and makes it easier for ustomers to migrate from one version to another. For example, from v7 to v8.

I've used it for five years.

Migrating from v7 to v8 of McAfee Firewall Enterprise, in many cases, involves you having to completely re-write all of your previous McAfee Firewall Enterprise v7 policies due to the difference in the way the interfaces are named in the product going from v7 to v8.

I have not encountered any major issues with stability.

The product is already very feature rich. The product has some really good features like GTI (Global Threat Intelligence) and Trusted Source which allows for the dynamic identification, and potential blocking, of malicious hosts on the internet when you are using this product as an internet facing firewall.

Customer service is good. You will generally have access to a team of account managers, should there be any need, for any escalations or prioritization of critical issues affecting your business.

When you buy the additional support from Intel McAfee you get a quite good level of support from a dedicated team of McAfee Firewall Enterprise experts.

Yes, we have an estate of mixed vendor firewalls using Checkpoint, Fortinet and Intel McAfee.

Relatively straightforward given the type of product as the nature of firewalls always requires a significant amount of configuration.

The solution used was implemented in-house.

We have been using the product for a while, even from when the product was referred to as a CyberGuard.

We have a team of roughly 20 engineers who support and provide technical expertise on this product from implementing to supporting.

For security purposes a layered approach has been taken so we have multiple vendors providing protection to avoid one vulnerability on one product affecting all of our products.

What other advice do I have?

If at all possible, you would do well to pay for Intel McAfee to provide professional services and consultancy as they can give you invaluable tips and expertise during your implementation process.

1 visitor found this review helpful