McAfee Firewall Enterprise MFE Review

We cannot find resources to help us configure it, so most of the time the virus still goes on our computer and McAfee doesn't detect it

What is our primary use case?

We use this for protection against virus and malware on our endpoint. It hasn't been that great because we cannot find resources to help us configure it, so most of the time the virus still goes on our computer and McAfee doesn't detect it.

How has it helped my organization?

It does give certain protection for everything that is well configured on our McAfee server. We have good protection with it. If we could find a feature and make it work, it would work perfectly, there would be no bugs, and it would be really good. For our organization, what it's really helped with is the overall security protection. Now we need a little bit more because we have had a couple of virus episodes, so we need better protection and better resources to help us. That's why we chose Cisco, but for McAfee, everything that was well-configured was working perfectly on our endpoint.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty easy to use on a daily basis, but there are no other features because it's hard to configure on the server. On the endpoint it's really easy to push. It's hard to configure on the server, though. It's hard to find resources to help us configure it, and there is not much online help that you can find. Most of the time, we were looking at the forums, and we needed to go very deep to find what we were looking for. It was hard, and McAfee was not really helpful when we were trying to get the product to work perfectly. This is why are changing it.

What needs improvement?

They should let the users configure more of the options, like with the blacklists and the whitelisting configuration. We didn't have that much control over what we could whitelist and blacklist, and it was complicated and hard to implement in their solution.

Customer support and AV are both lacking and are really hard to come to you when the product is installed. Those are the two major points that they need to work on.

The solution is pretty stable. There was no major bug. We had some problems in the beginning because it was making our computer go slow, but then it got fixed in their later version, so now it's okay. Our computer is not slow anymore, but the beginning was really rough on our processors. Overall, despite everything that I said, it was very stable as a product.

Scalability is pretty easy. It's easy to buy more licenses and to just add users. There is a maximum, but we didn't get there, so we didn't have to buy another firewall to help us. In our scenario, the scalability was perfect. There were no problems in that regard.

We do not call McAfee directly because they couldn't provide us with the help we needed onsite because we needed someone to come and help us configure it. At some point, we find out the resource, and when the resource came to our premises he was not able to help us configure it more. They need to work on that a lot.

We were just using the one that came with Windows and it was not working. It was not a solution that we should use in business so McAfee was our first real big experience with something of that type. We had a security problem and we had viruses and malware that would come in which is why we decided to go with McAfee in the first place. We thought it would be the best option for us, but turns out it was not. It did the job for a little bit, then we got to bigger concern, and we worked a lot on our security, so we needed to continue to improve in that direction.

We consider several criteria when evaluating a solution. Customer support is really important to me. It needs to be user-friendly so people don't have to do a thousand hours of work to understand the product, know how to use it, and to deploy it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it four out of ten because of the complexity of the installation, and the lack of technical support we have from McAfee and their vendors. That is really what destroyed the rating for me. They need to work a lot of their customer support and maybe their vendors that need more trained personnel to help us with our problems and our configurations of McAfee. They should also make it a little bit easier, more user-friendly to use and install on the endpoints and the firewall.

I would advise someone considering this solution to make sure it's the right fit for you because it's evolving so fast and there are so many different options that you can go with and it doesn't fit to all business cases. Make sure that you try it before you buy it.