McAfee Network Security Platform Review

Effective, with an easy setup and a good dashboard

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used mostly for perimeter protection. It's to protect the client and server site. It offers basic but effective Smart Blocking. We've tested it in a product environment and it performed rather well.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite easy to set up. You can just do everything online and then do some basic configurations. It's easy.

The solution, in general, is pretty effective.

The product has a good reputation.

The sensors and signatures can be updated.

There's a good dashboard you can drill down into. It helps you easily locate intrusions and the source of attacks.

What needs improvement?

We have encountered some glitches from time to time.

Some of the documentation is not as straightforward as it could be. It's much too general - especially in areas related to updates. They need to do a better job of explaining things. If you need a specific configuration, they should be able to provide the necessary details. It's something they can really improve upon if they wanted to.

What I would like to see more on the roadmap for McAfee is the compatibility of high availability in terms of the virtual machine.

They could make an interchangeable model that could serve the throughput requirements of the client. Right now, if you are not under the same mold there, although you have the same version, you are not able to do a proper deployment on it.

I'm not continuously working with the product. It depends on the demands of the customers for the most part. It's on and off. It's likely been about one to two years or so.

The solution is quite stable. The performance is reliable. There are no bugs or crashes or anything of that nature.

I haven't done any HA on it. I'm trying to make an HA on my Lab, however, due to my busy schedule, I haven't made the time. That said, the product appears very scalable. You can cascade the product and it does support a big number of throughput.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. You can email them and make a ticket or you can call them by phone. It depends on the severity of the assistance you need. However, they seem to be quite responsive and knowledgeable. We've been happy with their level of support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not complex. You can manage the process online, and the configuration of the solution is easy. It doesn't take long at all.

That said, I have not fully deployed the product into a client environment.

We pay for licensing on a yearly basis.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, it's my understanding that they are competitive. When it comes to security, the more you need, the higher the costs tend to run.

What other advice do I have?

We are a distributor of McAfee. We're partners.

We don't have a customer right now. We just have a version we use for inquiries. We have a demo server on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

It's stable and scalable. It's definitely more effective compared to the next-generation firewall that has a built-in IPS. However, they really do need to reform their documentation. We'd also like to see a bit more of their roadmap.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

More McAfee Network Security Platform reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Sourcefire SNORT
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Network Security Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.