McAfee StoneGate Review

It works well with a highly-active cluster.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for firewall protection. It is a highly available cluster for firewall protection of a site.

How has it helped my organization?

It is important for us in case of a disaster, or in case of a failure of one server. This means that the high availability is the most important part for us. It is important for us that the system is available and no connection is going to be lost if the system is restarting one note, or something like that. This is the main request for us for a good firewall protection product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that there is the possibility to have a highly-active cluster, which allowed us to switch off on one note without any connection loss.

What needs improvement?

After some experience with the solution, we had to do some redesign, but generally, we were happy with the product.

The stability of the product is fantastic. It is a really proofed system. I never have had any type of problem where the system was unstable, or even a a software failure.

In terms of the scalability of the solution, we had two nodes. It was never necessary to add a third node. It was an HP DL360 server which was designed for this application. We had to change it once because the server was too old. We never had any kind of performance problems. If there were ever problems, it was due to the server being too old. But, never any other scalability issues.

I can't comment on technical support, because we really did not use it other than for downloading new versions or for upgrading. We personally do our own application updates.

The setup was very straightforward. It was really simple to implement. I had to take a three day course to know how it works, and then I knew how to set it up.

One big advantage of this product is that it has the possibility to make a lot of network cards inside. It allows many DMZs. We had a lot of workers who were connected to our site, and we needed to divide them on the firewall basic, giving them their own network cards. It was possible to do, because it was w server, and not an appliance only for ports. We were happy to make this happen.

In the past, we had CheckPoint. But, they did not have a really highly available solution. It was very complex to setup.

What other advice do I have?

When considering a vendor, I often consider the real functionality of the product. If it is not functional, we really can't set it up properly.