McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Review

Easy to manage with good monitoring and an excellent interface

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the banking sector. Banks would like to prevent any customer information or confidential documents from leaking outside their environment. We use the solution on the email channels basically. We also use it sometimes on USBs, and other tools also.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

Overall, it's an easy to use product. It has a great end-user experience. The solution is quite powerful.

It offers good monitoring of your endpoints and provides excellent reporting.

The interface showcases threat incidents very well.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the Lower and Upper filter of the device control module.

Technical support doesn't really offer fast response times.

They could continue to refine their defense on signature attacks.

We've been using the solution for a while. I have about two years of experience personally.

While it is largely stable, I have experienced issues with browsers, especially when we export and import the DLP policy. After importing the DLP policy, we weren't able to get a classification and definitions of the data loss prevention from Microsoft Edge or other browsers. They hung when we tried to access the classifications and definition page.

This doesn't really count as a stability issue. It's more of an availability or usability issue.

We have about 2,000 users in one environment. In another environment, we may have as many as 3,000 users. The solution scales pretty well.

While we typically implement this solution for our customers, I would say that we would like to increase usage.

When we've had issues in the past, and, although they ended up solving our problem, we found the response time was pretty slow. There was a bit of a delay. They could have been faster to respond. Other than that, we're pretty satisfied with their level of service.

I haven't experienced a lot of users, however, so far, McAfee has been excellent.

Generally, the solution is pretty straightforward to setup. It's not complex. That said, there is a common issue with an installation video. It's something about TLS support, TLS version 1.1. There's a command you should execute, however, there is a conflict of KBs. We had to do a bit of research and we were able to troubleshoot it ourselves in the end.

Ultimately, deployment takes about two to three hours. It doesn't take too long.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of any integrators or consultants. I also didn't need the help of technical support.

Although I don't have too much information on the exact costs of the solution, it's my understanding that the pricing is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

We're systems integrators. We aren't McAfee customers.

I would recommend this solution to other companies. It's stable and strong in data loss prevention. It works quite well.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. If it offered more responsive support and better usability, It would get higher marks from me.

7.4
More McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.