McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Review

Offers good control over external devices, but it is complex to set up and configure, and the interface needs to be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

Our customers primarily use it to protect local files that they are saving to external devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to control access to USB drives and other external devices.

What needs improvement?

The interface is very complicated to use and it is easy to forget how it works.

There needs to be support for blocking the sending of files by email because even if you block or remove an external disk, the files are not protected. As long as the files can still be sent via email, it is useless to protect them from being copied to an external drive.

I have been working with this McAfee data protection product for more than two years.

Scalability is not really applicable because it is only dealing with an endpoint device. There is no impact on scalability.

I have not been in contact with McAfee's technical support.

Symantec has a similar solution available.

The initial setup is complex. The configuration requires that many points have to be considered before it can be done properly.

The price is high for this type of product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

More McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.