McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention Review

It is easy to recommend this product as a solid product for clients seeking a security solution

What is our primary use case?

We are a solutions provider. We make recommendations to people and companies concerning virtualization solutions, server solutions, file sharing and things of this nature. So we also need to protect servers or client machines or PCs and so often we need to recommend the purchase of some antivirus solutions. McAfee is one of the solutions we use in our recommendations.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with an excellent solution to recommend to clients for security.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable things for us about this product is that we needed some solution that can be used in desktop virtualization. We are not using the antivirus program in common ways. We use antivirus in desktop virtualization.

The most important solution for us is protecting the virtual machines that we host on our servers. We need security protection for our clients and server solutions, security protection for virtual desktop solutions and security for the cloud-based system solutions. We work in all of these fields.

What needs improvement?

One thing that would help us is if the McAfee agent that we install on virtual machines became lighter. It is a bit heavy for installation on virtual machines and it uses too much in the way of resources. It takes a lot of the CPU, the RAM, and other resources in comparison to some other application like Kaspersky. Kaspersky Security Solution is a lighter solution than McAfee. McAfee is a little heavy for many installations and does not work for all clients and situations.

It would also be good if the McAfee solution contained specialized features just for the virtual desktop. Some brands of security solutions already have this type of feature which makes it easier to use them for desktop virtualization. I can not find that currently in the McAfee product.

We have been using this product for about 10 years for some internal solutions and for our clients.

Of course, a product like this has to be designed to be stable. The whole point of McAfee is to be a stable, dependable solution for total security.

In our experience, the product is easy to scale both on server and desktop visualization.

The number of clients we have using McAfee Total Protection for data within our company and within our client deployments is hard to say in total. We have lots of clients in various territories. We work in five countries in the Middle East. So I don't know the exact number of users, but I know there are more than 1,000 SMBs, or small to medium businesses, that we have deployed for.

The users at each site are IT Managers, IT Admin, Security Admins or some type of IT expert for the administration.

I have previous and current experience in usage of some other security applications like McAfee, like Kaspersky, like BitDefender, and like SOPHOS. So I have experience with a lot of these kinds of products and know which to recommend for particular purposes in deployments. We use McAfee because it fits certain client needs but we still sometimes use other solutions for other clients. Everyone is not the same.

We also have our own security solutions and we do not use only third-party applications in our company. We have an ISMS (information security management system) that we customize for what we need it to do.

For the Data Security product, McAfee is easy to install and it is easy to use. This is not the setup and usability that are part of the problem when it comes to this product.

We do our own implementations.

I did consider other options from the other vendors I've worked with before. I had kind of a friendly connection with the BitDefender company, for example. But when it comes down to making a choice for clients I have to tell them that the application is the heaviest security program. It uses the most resources of any of the products I know well, so it was not really a good solution for us to recommend. Their solution uses more resources than even McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give to others looking into implementing this solution is the same as when our customers ask us for any kind of security solution. We almost always recommended that they go with McAfee. McAfee is a great choice for most cases.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate McAfee Total Protection for Data as a nine out of ten. It is very good except for the resource drain.

More McAfee Total Protection for Data Loss Prevention reviews from users