McAfee Web Protection Review
The URL filtering policy makes rules to block a website where a user should not be able to access it

What is most valuable?

The feature which I have found most valuable is the URL filtering policy.

This feature:

1. Gives me a opportunity to make rules for blocking a website where the user should not be able to access it.
  2. Then, McAfee Web Gateway also classifies the sites and categories them.

How has it helped my organization?

In a company, where about 1000 end users are active, the McAfee Web Gateway are protecting us from threats.

Sample: A user clicks a link in a spam/phishing email, the URL gets blocked by the reputation/category. The end user is protected from phishing attempts or ransomware campaigns.

What needs improvement?

From the McAfee site, I see no areas for improvement.

As a company or an IT department, you should have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense to build up your security solution with the McAfee Web Gateway.

For about two years.

No. No issues at all.

No. No stability issues have been noticed.

The McAfee customer service is great. As mentioned in my earlier review, this is a top 10 customer service.

10 out of 10. McAfee's technical support is a great way to solve your problems.

Fast response, great assistance, and understanding from the tech support team.

A lot of config will need to be done. If you don't know what you are doing, or if you don't know the product and it's config, you should contact either McAfee or a partner to them for help.

In-house.

As a consultant, this isn't applicable to me.

Even if the product, as well with the Advanced Threat Defense costs a lot, it's a long-term investment and will help you with attacks.

However, the first protection should always be knowledge by your users, and second protection should be products, such as the McAfee Web Gateway

The implementation was already on it's way, so no evaluation of other products was done.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at the Advanced Threat Defense implementation, and implement it with the McAfee Web Gateway. This is a more advanced filtering of files which could inflict damage upon your company or end users.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are gold partners to McAfee where we are working tight together with them.

1 Comment

CacheGuardUserTOP 5

McAfee Web Gateway is a great product but you have bunch of alternative solutions sometimes proposed at a more attractive price. You can even build your own Web Gateway based on a Linux box, Squid and SquidGuard or pick a product such as CacheGuard that integrates them into a ready to use appliance.

27 January 18