McAfee Web Protection Review

Permits the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of category blocking and anti-malware control

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to permit the user to go to the internet with a sufficient level of a category blocking and anti-malware control.

What is most valuable?

It's a solution that permits making a granular configuration and it is easier to deploy the same configuration on a lot of devices using the central console. It is the master of the product.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be simplified because it is more complex to make the configuration on McAfee. What can be improved is the support of the agent on smartphones, IOS or Android. That still now is not available yet.

We are not satisfied with the compatibility of the solution with other devices, like smartphones. In the next release, we would like to see the support of smartphones. It's one of the things that we have been asking them for five years.

I have been using McAfee Web Protection for around six to seven years.

It is absolutely stable.

Scalability is good. It is easy to expand. We have more or less 100,000 of users right around the world that use this solution. All the people that work in our company use this solution to browse the internet. Anybody from the financial department, manufacturing, development, etc..

Currently, it's used by 100% of the people that work in our company. We have no visibility to expand. It would be useful to move from an on-prem to a cloud solution.

It is complex to set up the infrastructure. Defining the rules that permit or denies the internet address is complex. Also if you have to connect the appliance to different active directory domains, there is a complicated procedure to create the token that you have to upload on the device on.

The deployment took three to four weeks.

We used McAfee Professional Services for the deployment. They offer support for the first two weeks of the activity.

What other advice do I have?

McAfee Web Protection is good technology. Absolutely. It has a very particular configuration that you can implement in a granular way. What is probably not easy to do is to do something simple.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.