Mendix Review

They have a stable release management so bugs get solved quickly​.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that you can create applications real fast. Forget large software teams. Alone or with small teams one can accomplice products in days that would take other software development teams months. Key features are that the product is flexible can connect with other applications using standards like SOAP, REST or OData.

We use Mendix as our software platform for building our HR solution. For each client of ours we buy a Mendix license so our clients can use our HR solution. Our product runs in the Mendix cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Clients are at first amazed that product feedback gets realized in days while other with other software vendors, things only get realized after months or never at all. Bugs are solved most of the time the next day.

What needs improvement?

Creating better document templates would be nice. You can achieve what you want but not a speedy as you can do everything else.

Since 2010

Deploying to the Mendix cloud are painless. And there are a lot of new option if you want to host your model in a different environment like Clound Foundry etc.

It is stil software that as all software can still have bugs. But Mendix responds very well in that area. They have a stable release management so bugs get solved quickly.

We have had no issues scaling it to our needs. You can either scale by using multi tenancy or as we did use the same model for multple customers.

The customer support is awesome. Of course they need to be able to reproduce the bug, but they are very helpful.

The best part of Mendix is the user forum. There you get answers in hours. Only in the rare case that no answer will be given you need to contact the support desk, but most of the time Mendix will answer the question in the forum. The developers are also there to provide knowledge. Even with the most difficult technological questions they will give their view on how to solve your problem.

The Cordis platform was used before we got to know Mendix. Cordis was just a failure that did cost us a lot of money with no result.

Even if you do not know the platform at all you can learn to build Mendix applications in hours even with no program experience. It is better to have a good knowledge of your business processes than knowing how to program. That last part is easier learned than the other way around.

If you use the cloud setup implementation is a breeze. All our clients use the cloud based solution. We can bring a client live in a day if we want to.

Since the developer version is free you do not need to invest to start working with the modeler. You can even deploy to a free slot where you can demo to a client the sollution you made. So you only start paying after you closed your first deal with a customer.

For small companies the pricing can be a bit steep. The gap between the free version and a paid version is to big in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

In the university world model driven development has been talked about a lot but never realized its potential. Mendix is, in my opinion, the first product that realized the potential of model driven development. More products are are coming but for me Mendix still has the edge in this field.

Just download Mendix and start playing with it. If you run in to trouble post your question in the forum and just check the product yourself if it is something for you.