Meraki Dashboard Review

A centralized solution for our AP network, managed using a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide Wi-Fi access within the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution reduces the amount of time that I have to spend managing our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the single pane of glass. It has nice features like heat mapping and rogue AP detection. It can analyze the traffic that it is picking up from what may be a rogue access point, and it is able to identify those and send relevant notifications.

Another helpful feature is that it can dynamically change the channel that the AP is using.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have the ability to create a floor plan based on an existing PDF or JPEG, which is automatically converted into a usable network map.

The stability is very good. So far it has not gone down, and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

This is a very scalable solution. The APs are relatively lightweight, and we have many of them being managed by one controller.

I haven't yet needed to use technical support.

We were previously using prox and Wi-Fi APs. We were having all kinds of issues; there was poor visibility, and we had to log in to agents individually. Sometimes the WAN interface would just break, so you would have to reboot it then begin troubleshooting once it came back online. There was a need for a centralized solution.

The initial setup of this solution is very straightforward. You have to purchase the license for the Enterprise, and then purchase a license for each AP. Then you create a login with that license and you can build out your networks. It is easy to configure, and this includes defining your access points.

I am the only person who maintains this solution for our organization.

We used CDW to assist with our implementation and deployment, and our experience was very good.

I don't have an accurate measure for ROI, but the time savings suggests that there is something there.

The licensing fees are $180 USD, per AP, for three years. I don't recall the initial startup costs.

I did not shop around very much. I had heard about what this solution could do and choose it based on that.

What other advice do I have?

This product saves me time and I am very happy using it. It is a great product, but nothing is perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.