Meraki MS Switches Review

Functions well, easily scalable, and installation simple

What is our primary use case?

This solution is suited for the cookie factory just around the corner and up to including multinational organizations with locations spanning around the globe.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a switch and many of them do the same operations, it connects devices together.

What needs improvement?

In this solution, you are lacking a feature that Cisco Classic has that allows you to save your configuration with a serial cable.

In some deployments, I would like stacking to act like RAID 1 but not if you are updating the firmware of one switch in a stack. Stacking and switches with Meraki, they need to improve on this. I had a different experience with Extreme Networks which behave completely different.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is plug and play. If you want to upgrade, all you do is plug it in and it works.

In my experience, they sometimes reply with a proper answer and others they reply with, "You can always file the I wish button request" I am confused why an organization would push automatically scheduled release candidate firmware. They tend to be too pushy. After this, I have to look at every customer individually and cancel those updates, which does not make sense to me.

I have used Extreme Networks and Cisco products in the past, some of the features are better than this solution in Extreme Networks and Cisco's licenses will not expire like they do in this solution.

The setup was as easy as a setup can be, we had no issues.

The licensing element is not favourite with Meraki. My opinion is if you buy something, it should be yours, and not if the license expires, the lights go out, or you might not be able to manage it anymore. The licensing is purchased on a one, three, five, and seven year basis.

What other advice do I have?

Switches are switches, they do what they say they do on the box. I do recommend this solution If you are looking for something easy, and do not mind having to renew your license or else you will not be able to manage it anymore. Then this solution could be a good fit. Cisco Classic 2900 Series and the likes, they just keep on going. Unless you really need support, that is extra, but at least functionality will not expire with the license.

I rate Meraki MS Switches an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More Meraki MS Switches reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Meraki MS Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.