Meraki MX Firewalls Review
It's self managed and saves a bunch of time and effort.

What is most valuable?

AutoVPN features allow you extremely simple mesh or site to site IPSEC VPN tunnels with no configuration. It's self managed and saves a bunch of time and effort.

Setup and configuration is cloud controller based so you just setup anything you need and don't actually have to configure the device other than to ship it to where it's going, and it configures itself with the settings you used without needing to hit the local LAN interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Setup and configuration could not be quicker. Their support is also unlimited, you call, you get a person who knows what they're doing and they always solve the problem.

What needs improvement?

There are a few things that are odd that I can do with other firewall products that I can't do with a Meraki. Such as - wanting to setup two firewalls in front of the same protected subnet. Since they 'act' like one when they are added, it won't let you setup the firwall in the traditional way where it's on the same LAN and has a proper public IP. When you attempt to save, because of their oversimplification of firewalls, it complains that you already have a firewall in front of that subnet. The only choice the leave you is to match the exact firewall and use their built in high availability. I don't want to do that in this case because I was intentionally terminating certain VPN tunnels on one, and other tunnels on the other. I could do this with an ASA, CheckPoint, SonicWALL, or Fortinet, but not here.

About 2 or 3 years and across 80 plus sites.

Tech support is California based today. Good in most cases, but they have no power in true design change requests. Some things they don't have in the interface are only viewable by Meraki.

1 visitor found this review helpful