Meraki MX Firewalls Review
Lets us control all the traffic data and analyze it; warns us about any device with malware

How has it helped my organization?

Meraki lets us control all the traffic data and analyze it. The Traffic Shaping lets us install voice servers and give quality of service. It prevents us from being hacked and delivers information about who and where the attack came from.

What is most valuable?

• Managed centrally over the web: You can manages all your Meraki devices in a single account.
  • Site to Site VPN: The device can establish a VPN connection to multiple sites in a mesh environment in seconds, and without complex VPN knowledge.
  • Traffic Shaping: The device lets you decide how you want to use your internet services. Due to the fact that Meraki can accept dual WAN, you can decide the way you balance the data traffic.
  • Content Filtering:  Excellent, and very easy to use. You can establish rules over specific content, what is allowed to be used, and assign them to a single device or a group.
  • Intrusion detection and prevention (IDS/IPS): The best feature. It can detect malware, even a virus, and warn you by email about the device that has it. When the Meraki detects that something is wrong, it automatically blocks the connection or the intrusion, delivering a graphic report with all the necessary content.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the Meraki devices let us see, in real time, the internet demand on a single device.

The only stability issue is in Content Filtering. Sometimes we need to report these types of issues to Cisco support.

You need to change the device based on information that Cisco provides. If you overload the Meraki throughput, it is time to change the device.

Excellent.

Fortinet. We switched to Meraki because it lets you see what's happening in your LAN and WAN in a graphic and web environment. Our customers are very grateful because we let them log in to the Meraki and let them see their network activity.

You only need to know about firewalls, content filtering, and networking.

It is more expensive than other solutions, but it is a cloud-managed network solution and support is given at the moment you call. That give a very big plus.

The Meraki UTM is excellent when you buy the Advanced Security license. If you buy a different license you lost all the valuable functions.

Fortinet, Barracuda, and other open source solutions.