Micro Focus ALM Octane Review

Combines everything into a single platform so someone doesn't have to look at many systems

What is our primary use case?

We are only using the Quality testing module of Octane to test newly developed mobile solutions or changes. For example, if someone wants to deploy a new promotion of a cheap bundle for 1 GB of 50 ram. Once that goes through the project management and comes to us, we use mostly these three Octane modules: Backlog, Quality, and Pipelines.

How has it helped my organization?

My team has benefited a lot from this solution. Sometimes it can be a massive, gigantic project where it's a migration from one system to another. Because we already have the requirements and the test kit setup on the system, it is easy for us to run regression.

The solution natively supports Agile-Waterfall hybrid software development at an enterprise scale. This is very important to us. Because even though the company wishes to go Agile, we still have projects which follow a Waterfall methodology. In order for us to accommodate both, we needed some sort of hybrid system. Because if we are using a fully Agile system, then the reporting might not be correctly extracted.

At the end of the day, teams are able to collaborate because we are working on one thing. One person can do their part of the job, then another person picks from there and carries on. So, it runs as a smooth process.

Even though there are other people who are not using the system, if we would give them access to the project management, then they would be able to trace where we are at any point in time.

What is most valuable?

I like that most tests are usable. I can parameterize, then use that test and pass a new value.

Its ability to handle a large number of projects is very good. I can just cross-reference and reuse what was existing before, instead of moving from one browser or application to another.

Octane's ability to connect all related entities to reflect project status and progress is great because even our team who runs external tests from Jenkins that the reporting is centralized. Because it was run from within Octane, the results come back into Octane. However, since I am not using those external systems, I only get results whether the test passed or failed.

The solution provides us with a single platform for all automated testing. It combines everything so someone doesn't have to look into many systems to be able to check this or that. They only have to log into one system to check for a particular requirement.

Backlog is like a library of our tests. It contains the features linked to the tests, so you can see which project or feature that you are working on. It is all in one place and everyone who needs it has access to it.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved and allow for customization. I want to build my own widgets, but I don't want to use the ones already in the system. I want to build mine from scratch.

From the database point of view along with how we see the reporting, they use old data. Also, there are sometimes limitations due to their license restrictions. If we want to share our tests with other teams, extracting different tests out of the system, those tests come out as a script where the content will be something like a binary format type of text.

We started using Octane from February 2020.

I do not know whether it is because we used an existing server, but sometimes the solution would be slow. Nowadays, it's much better because not as many people are logging into the system. However, I find it slow. When you capture a requirement or test (and it throws out an error), then when you refresh and find that it has created a duplicate. For some people who don't understand it, Octane can create a lot of useless information on the system.

My team does just minor maintenance of the solution.

The extensiveness of integrations into the DevOps ecosystem in the 15.1.20 version to support scalability has been very applicable to our business. We have integrated the solution with Jenkins, which was user-friendly. We also integrated Octane with Qlik Sense and QlikView for people for whom we do not want to give access to the system but want to have them viewing our reports. Therefore, I think the scalability is very wide.

On my team, there are 18 users who are testers. Overall, there are 20 licenses.

We have used the technical support, and they are very good.

There was a time that the server firewall was enabled, so we could not access the system from our side. Since we were working from home and connecting remotely, no one was able to establish regular shipping. Eventually, the IT person and our team went through everything. They checked the server settings and pinpointed the problem.

We did an upgrade of our ALM from Quality Center.

Our team is saving time on testing by using Octane. Something that would take five days to do, now it takes one day.

The solution has helped us to produce releases 40 percent faster.

Going forward, I think we will want to explore adding more licenses.

We have used more of a requirement-driven tool, where it will help you to identify which requirement already exists. Then, you don't capture duplicates and it directs you to the project that is linked to that particular requirement.

We also use Jira at a high level for projects.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use the security features of this solution yet, but it is something that my boss wants us to tap into.

Systems and technologies are evolving as well as methodologies.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.

15.1.20
More Micro Focus ALM Octane reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Octane. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.