Micro Focus ALM Octane Review

Makes team collaboration between IT and non-IT users easier with more transparency

How has it helped my organization?

Its user experience made us a lot happier than using other tools, making it easier for non-IT teams to work together with IT teams.

Octane provides us with a single platform for all automated testing. Our test management is a lot more transparent and successful because it includes the team (the non-IT user and the developers). We are more streamlined and running a lot faster. The single platform for all automated testing has 100 percent affected collaboration between development and testing teams because everything is all in one place.

Octane integrates with your CI server for continuous integration and delivery. This makes us go faster, providing overall transparency during stages or phases.

The solution provides a single, global ALM platform that supports all our agile and waterfall needs. This has improved the overall quality of our DevOps by a lot.

What is most valuable?

The user experience is a lot better than any tool that I have used before. Overall, it is great. It has a smooth interface, which is very user-friendly. It makes it easier to work together and have more transparency and customization, which is very good. There are a lot of features where you can add fields, input individual fields, and input rules, like templated rule-based interaction between entities.

The Backlog management is really interesting, because it is all in one place. You don't have a feature here and a feature there, instead you have the Backlog and testing using different backup items, like user storage features and tasks, all in one place. In addition, we are able to write documents, which we can transfer to backup items. Then, we can test them in the same solution without switching tools, or even switching from one part of the tool to another part, because it is all in one place.

We use the solution’s Backlog and Team Backlog capabilities. They make our DevOps processes easier through transparency and asset collaboration.

What needs improvement?

It could use just some small improvements. I would like additional features, like planning features, user story mapping, or connection to collaboration tools.

We have been using it for two years in a client company. We have also used it for several of our teams as well as IT related product development.

We have used it now for two years, but only in the last six to 12 months have we really been going all in.

The stability is perfect. We haven't had any issues.

We are not using the most recent version. There are two more updates, and we are already thinking about updating to the newest version.

The scalability is excellent. I don't think there is a limit.

We use it quite extensively. We have about 30 teams working on it with approximately 10 projects, and we are definitely expanding.

The technical support is really good. I would rate their support as a nine out of 10, as there is always room for improvement.

We do use the community that is offered. This is a very good point for identifying issues in terms of how we can use additional features.

We switched from Jira. The main reasons that we switched to Octane:

1. Provides a single tool.
  2. A lot smoother user experience.

The initial setup was absolutely perfect and very easy. It was fast getting into the work. We were up and running in a very short amount of time. We switched from one tool to another in days, which is very good.

We did it ourselves. Just a couple of people were involved in the deployment.

Octane has reduced manual testing time in our organization.

The solution has reduced our testing costs.

It has reduced integration costs by building a streamlined application delivery pipeline connecting to all IDE, CI, and SCCM tools.

The solution has helped us to produce releases faster.

We did not really evaluate other options. We were introduced to Octane and found it to be a good idea.

What other advice do I have?

Micro Focus ALM Octane natively supports waterfall, hybrid, and agile software development at an enterprise scale. There is no difference based on whatever path that you are trying to follow. You have work, and if you do it in cycles and iterations, that's fine. If you don't, that is fine too.

The solution provides out-of-the-box integrations to proprietary, third-party, and open source tools. However, we are not using DevOps integration right now.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.

More Micro Focus ALM Octane reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Octane. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.